Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

Save some historic buildings, only to tear others down??

by Brian Taylor Clark » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 am

i haven't read into this further, but do I understand that Blue got the o.k. to tear down other historic buildings in trade to save some at Whiskey row? Is it that all the focus was on the Whiskey property and he could sneak through the smoke screen and tear others down, right down the street? I'd like to know what some of you think. I haven't followed closely enough to have a dog in the fight. I figured some of you are pretty knowledgeable on the subject.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... |text|Home

And Robin, I don't know your rule on links, if not OK, I'll pull it.
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Save some historic buildings, only to tear others down??

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:04 pm

I think I covered it in my Doc Crow's review a couple of weeks ago. The "other" half of Whiskey Row, where you'll find Crow's and Bearno's and ... O'Shea's? ... makes it awfully hard to sustain the argument that older buildings aren't worth saving. Our historic urban streetscape gives our city its unique stamp. That's worth saving, even if it requires some expense. Letting some over-privileged yuppie tear them down for his short-term convenience makes no sense. I say bring on the preservation district.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I think I covered it in my Doc Crow's review a couple of weeks ago. The "other" half of Whiskey Row, where you'll find Crow's and Bearno's and ... O'Shea's? ... makes it awfully hard to sustain the argument that older buildings aren't worth saving. Our historic urban streetscape gives our city its unique stamp. That's worth saving, even if it requires some expense. Letting some over-privileged yuppie tear them down for his short-term convenience makes no sense. I say bring on the preservation district.

You better be ready to defend your opinion before the LHB Libertarian gang. If they don't like your argument, you are forced to read Ayn Rand.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Matthew D wrote:You better be ready to defend your opinion before the LHB Libertarian gang. If they don't like your argument, you are forced to read Ayn Rand.

Never read Ayn Rand. Another stereotype busted?

However, I think the owner of record of an property declared an historical landmark should be justly compensated, just like in normal imminent domain cases.
Last edited by Steve H on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Steve H wrote:
Matthew D wrote:You better be ready to defend your opinion before the LHB Libertarian gang. If they don't like your argument, you are forced to read Ayn Rand.

However, I think the owner of record of an property declared an historical landmark just be justly compensated, just like in normal imminent domain cases.

Forgot the emoticon. You must be the last great original, in a world where nothing is original.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:08 pm

Matthew D wrote:
Steve H wrote:

However, I think the owner of record of an property declared an historical landmark just be justly compensated, just like in normal imminent domain cases.

Forgot the emoticon. You must be the last great original, in a world where nothing is original.

Sometimes I use imoticons, sometimes I don't. I guess I wasn't feeling particularly emoticony when making this post. I can endeavor to sprinkle them more liberally (ha!) when responding to you, if you like.

I don't know how original I am, but I am an individual.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Steve H wrote:Sometimes I use imoticons, sometimes I don't. I guess I wasn't feeling particularly emoticony when making this post. I can endeavor to sprinkle them more liberally (ha!) when responding to you, if you like.

I don't know how original I am, but I am an individual.

Sorry. Meant that I forgot the emoticon.

I had a good laugh at you calling yourself an individual. Not because I doubt you. Only that I would expect nothing different from a libertarian.

Cheers to you. Don't know if I will be back tomorrow for anymore, but today's been entertaining.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Matthew D wrote:Sorry. Meant that I forgot the emoticon.

Now that is funny! You are here by rewarded with an emoticon.
:lol:

Matthew D wrote:I had a good laugh at you calling yourself an individual. Not because I doubt you. Only that I would expect nothing different from a libertarian.

Cheers to you. Don't know if I will be back tomorrow for anymore, but today's been entertaining.

I'm glad that you aren't mad. Seriously, I was worried that I'd dented your pleasant demeanor. As a frequent lurker here, I value your contributions.

I really don't claim the libertarian label. I remain a work in progress.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Nah, I wasn't mad. My blood sugar numbers were wacked out today, so I was probably on edge. Once I got some distance from the computer, I lost some of my grumpiness.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:18 am

Matthew D wrote:Nah, I wasn't mad. My blood sugar numbers were wacked out today, so I was probably on edge. Once I got some distance from the computer, I lost some of my grumpiness.

My son suffers severe hypoglycemia. It has been a long bumpy ride. Take care of yourself!
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:39 am

Now chain link fences have "historical" value.