Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

Re: NEW RESTAURANT - Big News! S. Hurstbourne Pkwy

by Brian Curl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:03 pm

Sorry you feel that way Matthew. You're entitled to your belief and I am entitled to mine.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Brian I respect (although I don't share) your opinion but I ask you to ask yourself why you feel that way. You cannot use the excuse "homosexuality is not natural"... there is nothing to indicate it isn't natural. Many species besides human have homosexual aspects within them. It simply isn't condusive to human reproduction. (Goodness knows we needn't be worried about that! No danger of humans becoming extinct.) As long as it's safe and between consenting adults what do I care about others' sex lives? And would someone PLEASE explain to me the argument that homosexuality diminishes family values? I grew up with a gay brother, gay cousins and have a bisexual daughter and all are valued members of the family, honest in business and give back to the community. At no time were our straight family members' marraiges threatened in any way. Do you really think if gay marraige is allowed then EVERYONE will want to marry within their own sex? It simply doesn't work that way.
Oh yeah... Buy local!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:10 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Sorry you feel that way Matthew. You're entitled to your belief and I am entitled to mine.

I never questioned your entitlement. I questioned the veracity of your opinion. Having an opinion doesn't mean it's a good opinion to have.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:12 pm

And I should note the irony of using a human rights argument (the right to one's opinion) to defend a viewpoint supporting the oppression of a fellow human being.

It's about you though, and your rights. Everyone else be damned!
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:19 pm

Carla, you put together a quote which didn't come from me. I said gay marriage and gay couples raising kids is not natural to ME. Whatever else happens between two adults I could care less.

Matthew, it's not about me but it is about me being able to state my point of view just as adamantly as you state yours.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Brian Curl wrote:You can list any emoticon you like, however, my views are more in line with the majority than yours. Gay marriage is not natural, nor is a gay couple raising a child. That's my opinion, something we're all entitled to have.

Odd. I always thought that the entire mortgage loan industry wasn't entirely natural ... and chain restaurants ... and Lite beer ...
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:30 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Carla, you put together a quote which didn't come from me. I said gay marriage and gay couples raising kids is not natural to ME.

Matthew, it's not about me but it is about me being able to state my point of view just as adamantly as you state yours. Ni

I have absolute faith that the annuals of history will prove me right. There is no place in our country for discrimination.

When gay marriage is acknowledged as a basic right, I'll have love on my side. And you will have your outdated but entitled to opinion.

I like my side of the coin. And I like gay marriage's chances.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:32 pm

C'mon Rodger, you can do better than that. If you think that then you must not believe in homeownership. I'd like to hear your arguments if you are against the availability of mortgage loans.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:37 pm

I stand corrected Brian, you did say that neither gay marraige or gay child rearing wasn't natural not just being gay. But as previously noted there is nothing natural about marraige. Sex is pretty natural is guess (although not always good.) Perhaps we should outlaw bad (as in unsatisfying) sex. How about it ladies? Who's with me on this one? Clothing certainly isn't natural but there seems to be a market for it. Driving autos isn't natural but hey there's a big industry for that and all things related. So perhaps just because something, anything is or isn't natural isn't really a good enough reason to be anything.
The question is, why would you vote AGAINST anything that doesn't pertain to you? Why infringe on others happiness? Shouldn't we all be more concerned with people that hate or harm others rather than people that love one another?
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:39 pm

Brian Curl wrote:C'mon Rodger, you can do better than that. If you think that then you must not believe in homeownership. I'd like to hear your arguments if you are against the availability of mortgage loans.

He didn't say he didn't believe in them, he said they weren't natural. As in naturally occuring. BTW i'm just wondering... are divorces natural?
no avatar
User

KimberlyW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:42 pm

by KimberlyW » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:51 pm

[quote="Brian Curl"]You can list any emoticon you like, however, my views are more in line with the majority than yours. Gay marriage is not natural, nor is a gay couple raising a child. That's my opinion, something we're all entitled to

I'm not sure being in line with the majority is anything to be proud of. Should we list the things "the majority" once was in line with? Doesn't make it right.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:52 pm

I just counted 30 states that have defined marriage between a man and a woman and have either a constitutional ban (Kentucky included) or statutes (laws) against same sex marriage. That's not including many states that its just illegal. This tides not going to turn anytime soon.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:55 pm

Brian Curl wrote:I just counted 30 states that have defined marriage between a man and a woman and have either a constitutional ban (Kentucky included) or statutes (laws) against same sex marriage. That's not including many states that its just illegal. This tides not going to turn anytime soon.

I'd rather not wait. But I'm willing to. Hopefully it creeps up on you slowly, so you can continue to run around scared.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Brian Curl wrote:C'mon Rodger, you can do better than that. If you think that then you must not believe in homeownership. I'd like to hear your arguments if you are against the availability of mortgage loans.

Actually, by Brian's own rules, I'm under no obligation to do "better than that." After all, my viewpoint about the mortgage loan industry's non-naturalness need only be an opinion, one probably shared by everyone who complains about their monthly house payment.

Hey, it's just a gut feeling I have when I'm around loan officers. If I had a gay son, I sure wouldn't want him marrying a gay male loan officer (in New York, that is).
:D
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:38 pm

Matthew wrote:I'd rather not wait. But I'm willing to. Hopefully it creeps up on you slowly, so you can continue to run around scared.

Nothing to be scared about, I have the right to get married to a woman just like any man does.
PreviousNext