Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: NEW RESTAURANT - Big News! S. Hurstbourne Pkwy

by Matthew D » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:16 am

Some of you face such unfair lives I'm shocked you are able to get out of bed in the morning and face the music. You deserve a Medal of Honor, if not more.

Here's a simple thought to keep in mind. If you have both the time and access to play the victim card on the interwebs, you probably don't have it that bad.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:18 am

Granted, watch too much FoxNews and you will be transported to another universe, where all your wildest disillusions make perfect sense.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:45 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve H wrote: Christians, especially the southern variety, are always safe to mock and denigrate in "polite" company.

I've already acknowledged my stupidity. Now I guess I'm anti-Christian, too. I suppose it's the unintended effect of all the seminary classes. :oops:

You have not been the worst offender in this particular thread. But you are free to expound further on this thought:
Robin Garr wrote:Ah, those good old Bible Belt values: Keep the blacks, the women and the gays in their place.

I am more agnostic than Christian, BTW. What ever that means. :lol:
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:47 am

Matthew D wrote:Granted, watch too much FoxNews and you will be transported to another universe, where all your wildest disillusions make perfect sense.

I don't think you intended this for me...

But let's start compiling a list of folks who should have no voice in America...

1) Southern Christians
2) Anybody that doesn't have a passport.
3) Folks who watch Fox News.

Anymore?
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:50 am

Steve H wrote:
Matthew D wrote:Granted, watch too much FoxNews and you will be transported to another universe, where all your wildest disillusions make perfect sense.

But let's start compiling a list of folks who should have no voice in America...

1) Southern Christians

Anymore?

You forgot anyone who looks or speaks like someone who is assumed to not have a passport.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:52 am

Steve H wrote:

1) Southern Christians

Anymore?

[Nevermind - waking up in a bad mood is no excuse for getting sucked into this.]
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:59 am

Steve H wrote:You have not been the worst offender in this particular thread. But you are free to expound further on this thought:
Robin Garr wrote:Ah, those good old Bible Belt values: Keep the blacks, the women and the gays in their place.

I'll try. Note that I didn't say "Christian values" but "Bible Belt" values. To be quite frank about it, such notions as Jim Crow and keeping women barefoot and pregnant had some of their strongest support in the rural South, and plenty of support for those prejudices came from the pulpits.

The civil rights struggle and feminism also enjoyed plenty of support from Christian clergy and laity, so that knife cuts both ways. But I'm afraid that some calls for a return to "Christian values" don't always express a wish for values that I personally would consider rooted in either the Gospels or Torah.
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am

it seems that the people that are for less government only want less taxes, less regulation for anything that they own ,but as far as peoples rights to live the way they want to live they want to regulate the hell out of it ,if its not THERE lifestyle choice ,
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 am

It's just a chicken sandwich, y'all. :D
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

by Brian Taylor Clark » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:35 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:It's just a chicken sandwich, y'all. :D

mmm, chicken :D, I think those cows in the advertising have ulterior motives...
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:40 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:It's just a chicken sandwich, y'all. :D

Oh, geez! Is it free-range. hormone-free, humanely raised locally grown? Do we even want to open that door? :lol:
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:50 am

My last post was emotional which was against the rules Brian Curl established. Seems he likes logical support. <Must be a white, privileged male.>

So, here you go:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/187138/20110726/recession-housing-unemployment-income-wealth-gap-racial-black-hispanics.htm

That's yesterday's news. As in the day before today. Current. Real. Fact.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:52 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve H wrote:You have not been the worst offender in this particular thread. But you are free to expound further on this thought:

I'll try. Note that I didn't say "Christian values" but "Bible Belt" values.

So, the Bible Belt isn't about southern Christians? Isn't this a distinction without a difference?

Robin Garr wrote:To be quite frank about it, such notions as Jim Crow and keeping women barefoot and pregnant had some of their strongest support in the rural South, and plenty of support for those prejudices came from the pulpits.

The civil rights struggle and feminism also enjoyed plenty of support from Christian clergy and laity, so that knife cuts both ways. But I'm afraid that some calls for a return to "Christian values" don't always express a wish for values that I personally would consider rooted in either the Gospels or Torah.

You are right. The knife does cut both ways. It has also been said that one should "Measure twice, and cut once". There's also the whole "beam" vs. "mote thing. I take that as instruction to be humble. :shock: :lol:
Last edited by Steve H on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:54 am

MattC wrote:it seems that the people that are for less government only want less taxes, less regulation for anything that they own ,but as far as peoples rights to live the way they want to live they want to regulate the hell out of it ,if its not THERE lifestyle choice ,

Your confusion might be lessened if you researched the difference between social conservatives and libertarians.
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

by Brian Taylor Clark » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:55 am

This Fox and crow you all keep speaking of, is this a new menu selection? Offered grilled, because I'm trying to watch my figure?
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
PreviousNext