Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Re: NEW RESTAURANT - Big News! S. Hurstbourne Pkwy

by Stephen D » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:12 pm

These things are constantly evolving trends, Brian- an ebb and flux.

As regards to the American family, well, maybe leave that to the American families. You will find that the pendulum is flowing back towards familly values. You will also find that the modern idea of the familly has changed...

Men will have to become comfortable cooking a meal or washing some dishes. Women will become increasingly more important for thier monetary contributions to the household. Look at the attendance rates for both at universities. This isn't a bad thing, quite the opposite. Children need thier fathers around- there is no greater contribution to familly values, IMHO.

It's just how one looks at it. Can you see the evolution of humankind? Or just mankind?

Moving back to your statement that America won't last another 300 years. You'e right, but not in the way you had expected. We sealed our own supposed 'demise' with the founding of the UN. The Age of Empires is over. The world (or at least a 'coalition of the willing') will step in against almost any infringememt against a country's sovereignity- i.e. Kuwait. As Gore Vidal had written, we are the last empire.

But America will stand, still the shining city on the hill.

EDIT: Little Wyatt loves the place because of the playplace. The food is healthier than the alternatives. The people nice, the facilities clean. Where am I gonna spend my money?
Last edited by Stephen D on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:18 pm

I would also argue that the white male in this country is now the minority and the victim of reverse discrimination, the best, most qualified candidates no longer get the job or scholarships.

If we believe in equal rights, why shouldn't the best, most qualified candidate be chosen, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity?
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Stephen D wrote:Children need thier fathers around- there is no greater contribution to familly values, IMHO.

Couldn't agree more, but what has led to the breakdown of the family and two parent households? I have my opinions.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:28 pm

Robin Garr wrote:[

They've had a lot of objection from gay-rights groups over discriminatory hiring practices, and I believe some with minorities.

Hiring discrimination is hardly limited to gays or minorities...or restaurants as I quickly discovered when I dabbled with the idea of re-entering the workforce (but that is food for another conversation). Keeping with the theme of restaurants who discriminate (and I'm not saying this one does...one article doesn't make it true) what about your local "El-Loco-Whatever-the-Hell"...When is the last time you saw a cute little Caucasian waitress in any of those places ? What about your local "We-Wok-Whatever" ? Haven't seen too many black faces in any of those I've visited of late. How about yer local BBQ joint ? Full set of teeth ? Need not apply (ok, so I was kinda kidding on that last one but you get my point). It would certainly be nice if the world around us was blind (and I personally think it's moving ever so slowly in that direction) but until it is I have a hard time singling this place out as a poster child for discriminatory practices. Besides, I'm also down with EVERYONE having Sundays off...like the good ol' days.
Last edited by Steve P on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Brian Curl wrote:I would also argue that the white male in this country is now the minority and the victim of reverse discrimination, the best, most qualified candidates no longer get the job or scholarships.

If we believe in equal rights, why shouldn't the best, most qualified candidate be chosen, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity?

A straw-man argument. We do have a black man, born of Islamic tradition as our president...
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm working on using my time in more productive ways. So, I'll be staying out of this conversation.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Matthew D wrote:I'm working on using my time in more productive ways. So, I'll be staying out of this conversation.

I'm shaking my head...

Your jumping into the conversation to tell us you are staying out of the conversation?

Really?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Stephen D wrote:
Matthew D wrote:I'm working on using my time in more productive ways. So, I'll be staying out of this conversation.

I'm shaking my head...

Your jumping into the conversation to tell us you are staying out of the conversation?

Really?

I think it showed a delightful sense of prudence. I'm trying to stay there myself, remembering what Mark Twain said about doing battle with an unarmed man. 8)
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Stephen D wrote:

I'm shaking my head...

Really?

Well, there was a message hidden between the lines. There's jumping into the "poor old white man" argument. And there's beating your head up against the wall. In terms of enjoyment, that's a coin flip at best.

Your earlier response was quality. I'll follow along from the sidelines. And cheer for you. Someone has to win. I hope it's you.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Brian Curl wrote:
Stephen D wrote:Children need thier fathers around- there is no greater contribution to familly values, IMHO.

Couldn't agree more, but what has led to the breakdown of the family and two parent households? I have my opinions.

I can't argue with this premise, because I generally agree with it:

'That the liberalism of the baby-boomer generation, laid on top of the firm-structure of the 'greatest generation' has lead to a societal breakdown of familly structure.

Yet, remember, these things are cyclical...
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Susanne Smith wrote:It is exactly policies like the ones mentioned in the article from Forbes that make Chic one of the last places I go when craving fast food. They also run religious retreat camps for the faithful....

Exactly. I won't eat there and encourage others to do the same.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:27 pm

Gary Z wrote:
Susanne Smith wrote:It is exactly policies like the ones mentioned in the article from Forbes that make Chic one of the last places I go when craving fast food. They also run religious retreat camps for the faithful....

Exactly. I won't eat there and encourage others to do the same.

That's what makes America as great as it is. You guys can decide whether to eat there or not just like everyone else can. I personally greatly respect them for sticking to their beliefs and not succumbing to the pressures of opening on Sunday! They've even made some shopping malls change their rules before they would sign a lease. Because of this I will certainly continue to eat there often.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Err... my post reads wrong. I meant it to read as if someone were to suggest going there I would talk them out of it. I don't just run around town trying to turn people off of Chik-Fil-A.

Being closed on Sundays is great for employees! If they did it solely for the employees without any religious attachment, I would totally support it. But that combined with the questionable hiring practices and other religious muckety-muck just turns me off. Of course, I'd hire Casey Anthony to work the grill if I thought she was the most qualified applicant.
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:19 pm

Stephen D wrote:
Brian Curl wrote:I would also argue that the white male in this country is now the minority and the victim of reverse discrimination, the best, most qualified candidates no longer get the job or scholarships.

A straw-man argument. We do have a black man, born of Islamic tradition as our president...

You sure he was born? I haven't seen his birth certificate.

(I don't want to read back through the thread, so not sure how we got here from CFA)
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I think it showed a delightful sense of prudence. I'm trying to stay there myself, remembering what Mark Twain said about doing battle with an unarmed man. 8)

That's a great excuse for not having an opinion or viable solutions, typical of the far left these days.
PreviousNext