Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: NEW RESTAURANT - Big News! S. Hurstbourne Pkwy

by Matthew D » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:17 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:
Matthew D wrote:
Mark Head wrote:I personally think that marriage shouldn't be a legal institution to begin with. Civil unions for those of all stripes who need a contract. Insurance should be square across the board. That's my libertarian streak.

I agree. If they made that change, it would come off as a way of re-thinking marriage so as to never allow gays to enjoy the honor of being married. But, I would read it as a better understanding of the problems of using a religious ceremony to create legal groundwork. Civil unions for all. And a legally non-binding religious ceremony for those who desire such.

I also support separation of marriage and state.

But why would the religous ceremony be "legally non-binding"? One of the few (in my mind) legit purposes of the state is contract enforcement. The bindingness of a marriage contract at that point would depend on what the couple put in it (plus, if they see fit, some church or etc, which could be a 3rd party to the contract). It would put an end to no-fault divorce, unless you put a no-fault clause in the contract.

I don't know enough about contracts and fault in regards to marriage to really discuss this point.

I just think the religious aspect of marriage should be ceremonial in relation to the state. The contract should be through the state. In regards to 3rd party participants, I would have to do more research.

The "highest" state-related level should be the civil union. Abolish state-sponsored marriage.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:19 pm

Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:05 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:
Matthew D wrote:
Mark Head wrote:I personally think that marriage shouldn't be a legal institution to begin with. Civil unions for those of all stripes who need a contract. Insurance should be square across the board. That's my libertarian streak.

I agree. If they made that change, it would come off as a way of re-thinking marriage so as to never allow gays to enjoy the honor of being married. But, I would read it as a better understanding of the problems of using a religious ceremony to create legal groundwork. Civil unions for all. And a legally non-binding religious ceremony for those who desire such.

I also support separation of marriage and state.

But why would the religous ceremony be "legally non-binding"? One of the few (in my mind) legit purposes of the state is contract enforcement. The bindingness of a marriage contract at that point would depend on what the couple put in it (plus, if they see fit, some church or etc, which could be a 3rd party to the contract). It would put an end to no-fault divorce, unless you put a no-fault clause in the contract.

Well lookey there!

Looks like the libertarian position on marriage can draw agreement from across the political spectrum.

Let's look a little at the state sanction for marriage. There really weren't any financial support until the income tax. That's when you needed to have deductions for dependents,including non working wives. Then there's the whole medical coverage as an employee benefit, which also needed coverage for dependents, including wives.

Both of these came from an increase in Federal power. The enactment of the income tax amendment is obvious, but how many people know that employer medical insurance plans arose because of the Federal pay freeze during WW2?

So, let's get the Federal government out of the marriage regulation business all together. The states probably ought to be out of that business too, but I'm not completely decided on that. If it's a free for all, there will be people engaging in plural marriages. I shouldn't care, but I do, apparently.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:48 am

"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:50 pm

I just don't think it's all that complicated:

I don't want anybody telling me whom I can love, or how (excepting those who cannot consent, of course).

Therefore, I have no right to tell any other person whom they can love, or how.

Period.

(Uniformly practiced, the Golden Rule really would fix most everything.)

And to make this a valid post on a food forum: I don't want anybody telling me where I can eat or what I can eat there, either. :shock:
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:09 am

This thread is so much. I saw that Jeffery posted last, and knew that he hadn't posted prior to this one, and then I relalized I (capitol I) hadn't posted. In reality I did - in the louisville forum, then deleted it! Buyer's remorse, then seller's guilt. I've never been so emotional reading a thread on LHB - ever. I'm astonished that BC hasn't been barbecued.

I've had somewhat interesting dialogue with via PM with a libertarian, debated healthily with my mom about the subjects here, dialed in ON THE HOUR to see the most recent post, developed a crush on Matthew (just kidding - I've always had a crush), had a confessional of my short-sighted early 20's affection for Ayn Rand (primarily Atlas Shrugged, but Fountainhead was okay, too - who is John Galt?)

That's about it... Except maybe "go gays! Brian Curl is kind of a dweeb".
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:22 am

Jackie, you are a complete riot.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:42 am

Antonia L wrote:Jackie, you are a complete riot.

In a GOOD way. :lol:
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:18 am

Jackie, I'm sorry you feel that others can't have views that may be different than yours. I haven't been "bbq'd" because I've stated my view in a clear, non biased way, if you've read the thread, you haven't seen any gay bashing from me - I'm not that type of guy. I'm glad the thread has provoked thought and discussion, if anything, that was my intent with posts that may not be considered pc.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:52 pm

So I'm just curious, if you hsve no problems with gays, why are you opposed to gay marraiges since it would have no bearing on your life what-so-ever?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Carla G wrote:So I'm just curious, if you hsve no problems with gays, why are you opposed to gay marraiges since it would have no bearing on your life what-so-ever?

"I have plenty of black friends, but I wouldn't want my daughter to marry one"?
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Carla G wrote:So I'm just curious, if you hsve no problems with gays, why are you opposed to gay marraiges since it would have no bearing on your life what-so-ever?

"I have plenty of black friends, but I wouldn't want my daughter to marry one"?

"I have nothing against gay people, but my kid better not turn out to be gay. That's not natural. To me."
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Robin, that's a dumb analogy as it's not even relevant to this subject, it's relevant to racism but not a stand for or against gay marriage. Now, if you want to make it relevant try to somehow incorporate my son growing up and becoming gay, that might actually make some sort of sense.

Carla, my belief and why has already been stated much earlier in the thread.

If you want use 'it doesn't effect me" argument then you might as well say, why do you care about anything, it doesn't effect you...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Carla, my belief and why has already been stated much earlier in the thread.

I'm probably just showing my stupidity and lack of cognitive skills again, but I had a hard time parsing out the roots of your opinion (as opposed to your opinion itself, which was quite clear) out of your word salad.

To simplify, perhaps you can just tell us if you basically agree with this guy:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/l ... -end-times
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Brian Curl wrote:Carla, my belief and why has already been stated much earlier in the thread.

I'm probably just showing my stupidity and lack of cognitive skills again, but I had a hard time parsing out the roots of your opinion (as opposed to your opinion itself, which was quite clear) out of your word salad.

To simplify, perhaps you can just tell us if you basically agree with this guy:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/l ... -end-times
Nice link Robin! And to think there were no gays just 50 years ago? Wow!! (I guess Alexander the Great, Richard the Lionhearted, T.E. Lawrence, etc, etc, don't count after all!). Just a bunch of dudes ahead of their time I guess.... :wink:
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
PreviousNext