Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Re: NEW RESTAURANT - Big News! S. Hurstbourne Pkwy

by Jackie R. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:10 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Jackie, I'm sorry you feel that others can't have views that may be different than yours. I haven't been "bbq'd" because I've stated my view in a clear, non biased way, if you've read the thread, you haven't seen any gay bashing from me - I'm not that type of guy. I'm glad the thread has provoked thought and discussion, if anything, that was my intent with posts that may not be considered pc.

Aw, Brian. Thanks for your predictable response. Certainly I have a problem with your bigotry (we all know that I love gay people like they aren't even gay, but just people), but what really entertains me is your premise on a puddle of knowledge and (loved it Robin) "word salad" - of the garden variety. And that you think that an intelligent group of people - those on LHB who are swimming in the deep sea of their intellects - would ever want to have a beer with you. How's that invite working out for you? Should we all head to Cumberland to see the zoo monkey?

I'm guessing you haven't even read Ayn Rand and her thousands of philosophically complex pages. But then again, I don't think she ever mentioned an issue with homos (sexuals, not sapiens), either. I think you may just be the new Robert Z.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Jackie, roughly half the nation is against same sex marriage, so I'm a bigot along with half the country is your position? Thanks for showing your LHB forum "intellect" - what idiocy.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:16 pm

Maybe the entire LHB bar needs a timeout from this one? Doesn't seem to be going anywhere productive.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Matthew D wrote:Maybe the entire LHB bar needs a timeout from this one? Doesn't seem to be going anywhere productive.

Sorry Matthew, but I didn't interrupt you when you had something to say, and I don't think believe in limits on talks like these (please help me keep that crush):

Brian Curl wrote:Jackie, roughly half the nation is against same sex marriage, so I'm a bigot along with half the country is your position? Thanks for showing your LHB forum "intellect" - what idiocy.

Yes, you're a bigot, and this "half of the nation" you keep citing born of people that are not posting here - they f#&king know better than to tangle with this level of intelligence and humanity. You are a sad boy. Sad sad sad.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:45 pm

You're point is more than fair, Jackie. I hesitated before posting.

Honestly, I'm plenty happy that you've taken on Brian. I wasn't yet ready for another round. Carry on.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:58 pm

Matthew D wrote:You're point is more than fair, Jackie. I hesitated before posting.

Honestly, I'm plenty happy that you've taken on Brian. I wasn't yet ready for another round. Carry on.

Thanks, Matthew. I just have a hard time letting this one go after everything I've read.

I predict Brian's next post to incite rage about an unfair perception of his "anti-gay-marriage" value misconstrued by the actual "anti-gay-marriage" position he maintains. Or vice-versa.

I might be done now. G'night y'all.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:58 pm

Well Jackie, if having a view similar to 47% of Americans (according to what Robin posted which I believe is low) and 30 states in which gay marriage is constitutionally banned (including the great state in which you now reside) makes me a bigot according to you, then I guess that's what I am.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:05 pm

Good job, Brian. Way to reside with the cesspool of humanity - you should be proud.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Jackie R. wrote:...I might be done now. G'night y'all.

Might be for the best, Jackie
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:46 pm

in my immediate family, i am the minority. My older sister, is a single-mom, working, feminist, vegan, tattooed/pierced, poet/writer, awesome Chicana Revolutionary woman. My younger sister is a guitar-playing (quite awesome i might add), health-food store working, tattooed, outspoken yet softhearted lesbian. My younger brother is a married self-educated music/band promotor, EXTREMELY involved in the scene, he is one of the originals. They all smoke, drink, go to bars, etc. They are all well-known, liked, and respected.

i on the other hand am a church-going Christian, married, sahm, that still believes a wife should submit to her husband (please do not misconstrue that to say i allow my husband to walk all over me.) , and most importantly that my marriage is a covenant with my husband, myself, and God. Do i disagree with their lifestyles? That is hard to say, i would LOVE for my siblings to join me in church and share the happiness i feel when i worship. but...... BUT who am i, to say that my younger sister does not feel that same feeling of peace and tranquility when she is on stage ripping it up? Who am i to argue the happiness/accomplishment my older sister feels when she has saved yet another Mexican immigrant from becoming a sex slave? who am i to tell my brother that all the money he is throwing away on those 16 yr old kids that just want to play music is a waste?

what is the point of this mom who is laying on the floor of her boys' room taking a break from folding clothes?

I guess i am trying to say, that i still Love all of my siblings despite our differences, and they are many. My choices, to leave the lifestyle i once lead alongside them, has NOTHING to do with the lifestyle they still choose to lead. But most importantly, it also has nothing to do with their value as a human being, or their right to be happy, respected, and loved.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:49 pm

Becky M wrote:in my immediate family, i am the minority. My older sister, is a single-mom, working, feminist, vegan, tattooed/pierced, poet/writer, awesome Chicana Revolutionary woman. My younger sister is a guitar-playing (quite awesome i might add), health-food store working, tattooed, outspoken yet softhearted lesbian. My younger brother is a married self-educated music/band promotor, EXTREMELY involved in the scene, he is one of the originals. They all smoke, drink, go to bars, etc. They are all well-known, liked, and respected.

i on the other hand am a church-going Christian, married, sahm, that still believes a wife should submit to her husband (please do not misconstrue that to say i allow my husband to walk all over me.) , and most importantly that my marriage is a covenant with my husband, myself, and God. Do i disagree with their lifestyles? That is hard to say, i would LOVE for my siblings to join me in church and share the happiness i feel when i worship. but...... BUT who am i, to say that my younger sister does not feel that same feeling of peace and tranquility when she is on stage ripping it up? Who am i to argue the happiness/accomplishment my older sister feels when she has saved yet another Mexican immigrant from becoming a sex slave? who am i to tell my brother that all the money he is throwing away on those 16 yr old kids that just want to play music is a waste?

what is the point of this mom who is laying on the floor of her boys' room taking a break from folding clothes?

I guess i am trying to say, that i still Love all of my siblings despite our differences, and they are many. My choices, to leave the lifestyle i once lead alongside them, has NOTHING to do with the lifestyle they still choose to lead. But most importantly, it also has nothing to do with their value as a human being, or their right to be happy, respected, and loved.

By far the best post in this thread.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:57 pm

Obama’s position hardened. In 2008, he visited the Saddleback Church in Orange County, Calif., where the pastor Rick Warren asked him to define marriage. “I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman,” Mr. Obama said. “For me, as a Christian, it is also a sacred union.”

I guess I'm a bigot along with the President :lol:

Although his views are perhaps conveniently "evolving" to get your vote in 2012 Jackie. . .

I know you're well read, I guess this view of his just happened to have slipped past you in the last election or you wouldn't have voted for our "bigot" president. :lol:
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:08 am

Brian Curl wrote:Obama’s position hardened. In 2008, he visited the Saddleback Church in Orange County, Calif., where the pastor Rick Warren asked him to define marriage. “I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman,” Mr. Obama said. “For me, as a Christian, it is also a sacred union.”

I guess I'm a bigot along with the President :lol:

Although his views are perhaps conveniently "evolving" to get your vote in 2012 Jackie. . .

I know you're well read, I guess this view of his just happened to have slipped past you in the last election or you wouldn't have voted for our "bigot" president. :lol:

Yeah, I don't go to bed with politicians and I certainly don't adopt my ethics from them... so your post is lost on me. Nice try, though, BC - you must have crapped your pants thinking that was going to be the vulture that laid an egg in my nest. You're still a douche.

Mark Head wrote:
Becky M wrote:in my immediate family, i am the minority. My older sister, is a single-mom, working, feminist, vegan, tattooed/pierced, poet/writer, awesome Chicana Revolutionary woman. My younger sister is a guitar-playing (quite awesome i might add), health-food store working, tattooed, outspoken yet softhearted lesbian. My younger brother is a married self-educated music/band promotor, EXTREMELY involved in the scene, he is one of the originals. They all smoke, drink, go to bars, etc. They are all well-known, liked, and respected.

By far the best post in this thread.

Agreed.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:55 am

I'm not interested in name calling or getting ugly with anyone. It won't bring about anything that's of value.
This is what I ask of you Brian, and of everyone reading this thread... Ask yourself, "If my child turns out to be gay, how will I deal with that?" I won't even get into the discussion of what makes a person gay, be it gentics or habitat. Just this, if you find yourself with a gay child will you still love them? Will hold them, kiss them, tell them you support them, tell them they are of value to you. Will you want the world around them to respect them and offer them the same oppertunities that are offered to the rest of the world members. You needn't even post your answer to me , just promise me you will think about it. Because I can almost guarantee that it is a question many of you out there will be faced with. If not your child, your grandchild, your niece or nephew or soemone close to you.
And because it doesn't directly affrect me doesn't mean I don't care Brian. I think it's obvious I do care. Ask yourself what REALLY is important to you as well as the rest of our community. I doubt that it's who (whom?) others sleep with.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:00 am

The ONLY reason that this is such a contentious issue is that the government is involved with defining marriage. When the government is involved it's a huge threat to folks. If we could all agree to get the government out of the way, then it wouldn't matter whatever one's personal opinions on the subject are.

There are always going to be prejudice and philosophical disagreements. The problem is that folks have gotten used to getting the government involved on THEIR side of these issues. Many of these social battlegrounds are because folks in New York try to tell folks in Alabama (and vice versa) how to live there lives, using the Federal Government as the big stick. If we could shrink government authority and get it out of our lives to the greatest extent possible, then we could all have a better chance to live the way we want, without interference from anybody else.
PreviousNext