Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

Re: NEW RESTAURANT - Big News! S. Hurstbourne Pkwy

by Brian Curl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Stephen D wrote: A straw-man argument. We do have a black man, born of Islamic tradition as our president...

Stephen, thankfully affirmative action does not yet apply to elections, so who won the presidential election has nothing to do with my statement. I am proud to have seen the day that it happened, I have a biracial son. Those things have nothing to do with my beliefs. I'm just espousing what I believe to be true.
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:51 pm

Brian Curl wrote:
Stephen D wrote: A straw-man argument. We do have a black man, born of Islamic tradition as our president...

I'm just espousing what I believe to be true.

Espousing what you believe to be true or regurgitating talking points you heard on conservative talk radio? I don't buy into the whole "minority white man has no rights in today's America" argument. If it so, it is only so because those "good old days" you relish have led us here.

I find that usually it's the people who have never lived outside this country who believe they know what's best for it. I mean really... without any frame of reference you're just hanging onto the ridiculous nationalism that won't let this country move forward.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Gary, I never said anything about good ole days that I relished, I was born in 1968.

And what a ridiculous argument, first you do not know where I haved lived or where I haven't. Second, are you saying everyone needs to live overseas to know what's best for America and before it will be able to move forward? It's a good idea to think about and compose a valid, logical statement before hitting the submit button.
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Stephen D wrote:
Brian Curl wrote:I would also argue that the white male in this country is now the minority and the victim of reverse discrimination, the best, most qualified candidates no longer get the job or scholarships.

If we believe in equal rights, why shouldn't the best, most qualified candidate be chosen, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity?

A straw-man argument. We do have a black man, born of Islamic tradition as our president...

No one ever said that voters don't make mistakes :wink: :wink:
BShep
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:13 pm

by JohnS » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Damn, now I feel like I have been unfairly discriminating against the breakfast burrito when I order the minis.

I vow to judge the breakfast menu based purely on the qualifications of the individual items now instead of giving the small bites an automatic pass because of their size/tastiness ratio. Gives me an excuse to try the spicy chicken biscuit, too, as it has also not been fairly judged.
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 pm

there is no way to go back to the 50s the middle class union jobs that paid enough for the little woman to stay home and take care of wally and the beaver are GONE it takes both parents working to pay the bills and a lot of those families were not perfect (kids being molested by the church, woman being beat by alcoholic husbands ,and gay in the closet husbands sneaking off to cruise parks at lunch for sex) its so funny to me how people did all the same so called sins back in the day just not in open . iv seen gay parents that were way better people and parents than a lot of straight church going families that beat there kids . i have worked with so many single parents that bust there ass to give there kids a good life. and as far as white males being turned down for jobs thats a crock of shit walk in any fine dining place and 90 %of corp parties and patrons are white males and there wives .drive by any bus stop and all u see are blacks and hispanics going to are leaving jobs that dont pay enough to buy a car
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:42 am

Brian Curl wrote:Gary, I never said anything about good ole days that I relished, I was born in 1968.

And what a ridiculous argument, first you do not know where I haved lived or where I haven't. Second, are you saying everyone needs to live overseas to know what's best for America and before it will be able to move forward? It's a good idea to think about and compose a valid, logical statement before hitting the submit button.

You're right. I have absolutely no confirmation that you haven't lived overseas.But answer the question... have you?

I know the answer is no.

And I don't think everyone needs to live overseas to get America in perspective. Just you and all your far right brethren.

And you might have not referenced the good old days, but you did say... "I do however believe that for whatever reason, the breakdown of the family in the last 30yrs is not going to make the US a stronger country"

I agree. But we'll never get back to that point, so what's the point of lamenting it? Things move forward. You can try to clown me all you want... but at the end of the day I am part of the now and you are part of the pissed.

I am going to submit this once again without thinking...
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:44 am

MattC also said some good stuff but without any indentations or paragraphs, it was hard to quote.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:52 am

wow.

I come down on more of the Libertarian side of this one. Freedom of association is supposed to be a guaranteed right per the Constitution. This should include the right to hire and fire whoever you want.

In the last few years my views have evolved to the point that I think economic rights are the highest human right. Because if someone or the government controls you livelihood, then you don't have the means to defend your other rights.

I also believe that homosexuals and atheists have the same rights as any other people. Human rights are universal. Interestingly, this also means every form of Christian enjoys these same rights as well.

You would not know that by the comments here. Christians, especially the southern variety, are always safe to mock and denigrate in "polite" company.
no avatar
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

by Brian Taylor Clark » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:11 am

Wow, I never thought a thread announcing Chick Fil A could get this deep. Maybe I should stick to Popeye's :D
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:17 am

Brian Taylor Clark wrote:Popeye's :D

Presbyterian Libertarians. Steer clear. :lol:
no avatar
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

by Brian Taylor Clark » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:21 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Brian Taylor Clark wrote:Popeye's :D

Presbyterian Libertarians. Steer clear. :lol:

haha
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:36 am

Gary Z wrote:MattC also said some good stuff but without any indentations or paragraphs, it was hard to quote.

I'm thinking Brian might've went in with his eyes open. And I'm also thinking that I failed to heed Robin's little :twisted: icon, clearly a sign of danger ahead.

Note to self: Don't post too quickly in the furture.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:29 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Robin Garr wrote:Let's have an offline! On a Sunday! :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:09 am

Steve H wrote: Christians, especially the southern variety, are always safe to mock and denigrate in "polite" company.

I've already acknowledged my stupidity. Now I guess I'm anti-Christian, too. I suppose it's the unintended effect of all the seminary classes. :oops:
PreviousNext