Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

So, who's on Google Plus?

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:32 pm

Checking it out, playing around. If you're on, link me up at http://bit.ly/notfacebook
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

Re: So, who's on Google Plus?

by Brian Curl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Where did you set up your profile? It told me to enter my email and they would let me know when it was up and running.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Where did you set up your profile? It told me to enter my email and they would let me know when it was up and running.

Ah, I guess it's still in beta then. Supposedly they're going to open it up any rime now.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:13 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Where did you set up your profile? It told me to enter my email and they would let me know when it was up and running.

Okay, Brian, I looked, and I've got invites. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you one.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:23 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Checking it out, playing around. If you're on, link me up at http://bit.ly/notfacebook

Done!
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Checking it out, playing around. If you're on, link me up at http://bit.ly/notfacebook

I'm on there but not sure what it is supposed to be yet.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:15 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:I'm on there but not sure what it is supposed to be yet.

I'm pretty it's supposed to eat Facebook's lunch, but I'm not sure it has critical mass yet.

I did read that they've passed 10 million users, though. What's Facebook? 700 million?
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:28 am

Robin Garr wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote:I'm on there but not sure what it is supposed to be yet.

I'm pretty it's supposed to eat Facebook's lunch, but I'm not sure it has critical mass yet.

I did read that they've passed 10 million users, though. What's Facebook? 700 million?

I know all that. I should have said I'm not feeling it yet, i.e. not impressed.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:56 am

David R. Pierce wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:I did read that they've passed 10 million users, though. What's Facebook? 700 million?

I know all that. I should have said I'm not feeling it yet, i.e. not impressed.

Right, got it now. :oops: I/m pretty much in the same place. I do like G+ in that it lacks Facebook's spamminess. Most of the posts I see are intelligent and generally interesting, although in fairness, a lot of the FB posts I see also meet that standard. I've got to think it's critical mass, though. I've got maybe 30 or 40 people in G+ circles, and few of them are posting regularly. Maybe the secret is to use G+ like Twitter and put lots of people you don't know in the "Following" circle? To this point I've been a little shy about doing that ("who's this creep I don't know who just put me in his "following" circle?") but maybe we need to look at it in a more Twitterish way and get over that.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:40 pm

I am on G+

Hit me up for a hook up...

and I have some invites left too.

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:42 pm

There was an article on one of the tech sites saying G+ was meant to be more like the cross bred cousin of Twitter and Facebook, but with more Twitter characteristics. I think right now it is an issue of not enough users and a lot of people aren't really committing to making it their communication tool. I still use Facebook several times a day, but I've checked G+ maybe twice in the past week. One of the groups I have on Facebook is also on G+ and next to no one uses G+ yet, but they post on our FB group frequently. I hope it turns around and into something good. It's really nice to not have the ad overload and all the other spam you get on FB.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:47 pm

I have a G+ account, but haven't used it any more than my Facebook account - which is not much. I find myself using and reading Twitter far more on a daily basis.
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:13 pm

Google+ app now available in the app store. Free of course. PM me if we should have a common foodie circle!
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:35 pm

I think I got you added over there, Robin. I'm liking it, right now, though obviously there isn't much there. But it is nice not to receive 10,000 MafiaWars and MafiaWars clone requests all day every day. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Adam Robinson wrote:I think I got you added over there, Robin. I'm liking it, right now, though obviously there isn't much there. But it is nice not to receive 10,000 MafiaWars and MafiaWars clone requests all day every day. :)

I started liking Facebook a lot more the day I learned how to turn off the Mafia Wars, Farmville, etc., announcements. I now routinely block every new game or app as soon as it appears for the first time, so my News Feed is just real people who I know. It helps a lot. :)

I didn't see you in my G+ Circles so searched for "Adam Robinson", but unfortunately 10 came up and I don't know which one is you. :(
Next