Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Are you a NASCAR FAN (You regularly watch and follow Nascar)

YES (You watch NASCAR and follow it)
23%
NO (You do not watch NASCAR and follow it)
77%

Total votes : 43
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

LHB Scientific Demographic Study (Poll - PLEASE VOTE) :-0

by Brian Curl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:26 am

Please Vote.
Last edited by Brian Curl on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: LHB Scientific Demographic Study (Poll - PLEASE VOTE)

by Steve P » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:09 pm

...and your point is ???
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:22 pm

Poorly constructed poll. No "sometimes" option? With the question as formatted and no middle choice, I can't honestly answer it either way.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Poorly constructed poll. No "sometimes" option? With the question as formatted and no middle choice, I can't honestly answer it either way.

Disagree. You watch it or you don't. If it's sometimes then you watch it. Go ahead and jump on the NASCAR truck Robin, it is an anonymous poll you know ! :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Disagree. You watch it or you don't. If it's sometimes then you watch it. Go ahead and jump on the NASCAR truck Robin, it is an anonymous poll you know ! :lol:

Just out of curiosity, Brian, have you had any graduate-level work in research methodology or statistics?
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:31 pm

I'd say the initial results are not much different from what I'd expect if you were to substitute baseball/soccer/ basketball/cycling/horse racing/etc for NASCAR in this poll. I'd be inclined to not draw any conclusions unscientific demographic study. :roll:
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:34 pm

I voted yes.

I'd also vote yes to following these sports: football, basketball, baseball, soccer, cycling, golf, tennis, ultimate frisbee, horse racing, indy racing.

I'd vote yes to watching these sports: all of the above plus any sport that is on TV plus things that might not be sports like bowling, and billiards, and lumberjack competitions, and...

I also like watching competition excluding that spelling bee (BORING!) and ridiculous cooking competitions.

So, me watching NASCAR says very little about me.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Bill P wrote:I'd say the initial results are not much different from what I'd expect if you were to substitute baseball/soccer/ basketball/cycling/horse racing/etc for NASCAR in this poll. I'd be inclined to not draw any conclusions unscientific demographic study. :roll:

You beat me to it, Bill.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Steve P wrote:...and your point is ???

Enjoy the race. I'm looking forward to watching it.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Boy, touchy subject. Sounds like some of you feel the need to defend your redneck tendencies. :lol: Just own it!
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Actually, yes I have. And I'd say I'm a math whiz. Wasn't trying to put those skills to use with a LHB forum poll. Would you like to match wits by taking an SAT, ACT, or GMAT? Would it have met statistical research standards had I included "sometimes" as another choice? :lol:

Lighten up, it wasn't meant as a serious study. Noticed the :-o at the end of the post... :roll:

(Sorry to counter your weak jab with a crushing right hook)

Robin Garr wrote:
Brian Curl wrote:Disagree. You watch it or you don't. If it's sometimes then you watch it. Go ahead and jump on the NASCAR truck Robin, it is an anonymous poll you know ! :lol:

Just out of curiosity, Brian, have you had any graduate-level work in research methodology or statistics?
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:58 pm

The choice of "sometime" is a cop out. You either watch/follow NASCAR or not. Is watching 15 minutes of racing a year sometime? Is an hour a year sometime? Is one race, two? Sometime is as vague as it gets and adds nothing to the results. I'd bet nobody watches every minute of every race and nobody hasn't seen a few minutes of a NASCAR race.

I won't watch a race all year, but if I'm flipping and it's the last 10 laps at Daytona, I'm watching, and I hate NASCAR. Same way with the NBA and NFL; I'll watch game 7 of the Finals and the Superbowl and that is it. If you are not watching more then a few races at year, are you really "following" NASCAR?

Back to the left turns.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Actually, yes I have. And I'd say I'm a math whiz. Wasn't trying to put those skills to use with a LHB forum poll. Would you like to match wits by taking an SAT, ACT, or GMAT?

Make it the GRE and you've got a deal :lol:

Would it have met statistical research standards had I included "sometimes" as another choice? :lol:

Your problems were really twofold, Brian. First, in your headline you titled it a "scientific demographic study." That holds you to a high bar. Let's not even get into random selection with a significant number of samples and simply look at the construction of your survey instrument: You got yourself in trouble when you added conditional clauses to your questions. "Do you watch NASCAR, Yes or No?" would have given you two clean divisions that would have fit everyone. But adding the phrase "watch it and follow it" creates two categories that leave out those who occasionally watch a race but don't follow it. "Keep It Simple" is a good rule for research design. You should have learned it in grad school. ;)
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:05 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Your problems were really twofold, Brian.

Twofold? You missed a few big ones, Robin.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 am

LHB Scientific Demographic Study (Poll - PLEASE VOTE) :-0
<<<<<<<<

The title was meant to be sarcastic, hence the big open mouth at the end.

I changed the choices yesterday to "watch and follow" or "don't watch and follow".

Bottom line, if there are enough votes the results will give a rough idea of registered LHB users that are into are not into NASCAR.
Next