Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Economic Impact of NASCAR this weekend at KY Speedway.

by Steve P » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:24 pm

An interesting article on the economic impact of the NASCAR races at KY Speedway this weekend. I was surprised to see that 3 days of racing rivals 10 days of the equestrian games in terms of what it brings to the local economies. BTW, out here in Garage Logic ALL the hotels are booked and the gas stations, grocery stores, etc are already seeing a "spike" in business.

http://www.thatsracin.com/2011/07/05/68 ... mpact.html
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

Re: Economic Impact of NASCAR this weekend at KY Speedway.

by Brian Curl » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:50 pm

This is probably the wrong site to find many (if any) NASCAR fans.

NASCAR fans antithesis of LHB crowd. (For the most part) haha
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:02 am

Brian Curl wrote:This is probably the wrong site to find many (if any) NASCAR fans.

I wasn't really looking for any NASCAR fans...just posting about the economic impact of the races.

Brian Curl wrote:NASCAR fans antithesis of LHB crowd. (For the most part) haha

True....maybe. But given the demographics of NASCAR fans (55% make more than 50K and 15% make more than 100K) I don't think I'd operate under the assumption that all these people have half a set of teeth and are dining at Denny's.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:55 am

We drove by there on our way to Cincy yesterday and it was already incredibly packed, with a constant stream of merchant tricks streaming in. I've also had the opportunity to start in a RV in the infield and let me say it's quite an experience. Those people spend a lot of money when they're in the area.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:44 am

Brian Curl wrote:This is probably the wrong site to find many (if any) NASCAR fans.

Guess I'm the not-the-most-part of the board.
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:34 am

TP Lowe wrote:

Don't get much better than turkey dogs and NASCAR! :lol:
Actually, while NASCAR isn't high up on my list of pastimes, it sure beats hanging with the horsey set or watching soccer..
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:42 am

Bill P wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:

Don't get much better than turkey dogs and NASCAR! :lol:

Ohhhhh, I'm betting there won't be a lot of Turkey Dogs ("Smart" Dogs either) consumed up there this weekend. NASCAR fans probably "tailgate" better than anyone. We're taking up a smoker and a Weber grill and hooking up with some of our BBQ buddies.

Bill P wrote:Actually, while NASCAR isn't high up on my list of pastimes, it sure beats hanging with the horsey set or watching soccer..

As easy as it would be to do so...I won't go "there"...They've all got their appeal to someone and as long an event is generating money for the local economy it's a good thing. From everything I've seen, this event is certainly doing that. The Beckster popped into Walmart to pick something up over her lunch hour yesterday and said the place was crazy. Last night the hotel parking lots in Garage Logic were packed with out of state plates and there were lines for the pumps at all the stations we passed. We didn't check out any of the area restaurants but I'm betting they probably saw a spike in business compared to a normal Wed. night....So it's all good.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Used to live down the road from Bristol Motor Speedway in TN and yes, a good number of those Nah-car fans have a load of money to burn. The motor homes and set ups right around the track were impressive to say the least, not to mention the long line of antique and super pricey cars they brought along with them. They were great fun to make fun of, between the races and the big county fair you got to see all the critters come out of the woodwork (or hollers and holes) up there! But the out of towners also brought in about a third of the areas tax revenue for the whole year in the course of ~3 weeks from the two major races. The fully furnished house I rented at $80 a week one semester was mine except on race week when it was rented for $1200 and she probably could have asked for more. I don't understand the draw to the "sport" but seeing how much it can do for a struggling and predominantly poor area like Bristol, TN I can support the fans. I'm sure they'll be doing just as much good at KY Speedway and given the stale economy, it's gotta be a great boost!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Bill P wrote:it sure beats ... watching soccer..

Hey, now! :oops:
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:29 am

We'll settle this once and for all with the new thread I've created!

I created a new thread because those that already viewed this thread would not know the poll was added. Or else they've never clicked on it as they have no interest in the title of this thread.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Brian Curl wrote:We'll settle this once and for all with the new thread I've created!

I created a new thread because those that already viewed this thread would not know the poll was added. Or else they've never clicked on it as they have no interest in the title of this thread.

Dude ?....So other than coming off as a borderline ass hat...What's your point ?...and what on earth is there to "settle once and for all" ? People post about local/regional events here all the time (The Derby, Ryder Cup, Forecastle, etc, etc), what makes this one so different that you've got to create some kind of goofy "poll". You don't like the thread, don't fricking read it, it's as simple as that.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Man, I have never seen such snobbery here in my life, you should be ashamed.

Not to mention being steroetypists, and .....
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Heather Y wrote:Man, I have never seen such snobbery here in my life, you should be ashamed.

Not to mention being steroetypists, and .....

Now, Heather, we haven't said a THING about New Yorkers in this thread. Yet ... :lol:
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Last time I checked I lived in KY 8)
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

by Brian Taylor Clark » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:41 pm

20 mile backup on the x-way, I'd say they're tailgating at about 0-3MPH right now! Great economic impact for the state, they've been working on getting the race here for years.
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
Next