Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

To do or not to do

no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

To do or not to do

by Jeff T » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:34 pm

First I hope everyone is OK from last nights storms which begs the question of how do you handle a tornado warning with your guests. My son is a server assistant at a top restaurant on Bardstown Rd. We are in Santa. Fe so I happen to get a weather alert on my PC about the tornados in Louisville. I called my son to check in for his safety and he informs me he is working. When I ask about the weather he says he is hearing the sirens going off but everyone is ignoring them. I inform him a tornado is on the ground around Churchill Downs. Do you let diners know the situation and try to move them to a safer location in the building or ignore it and just hope everyone doesnt get killed. Im not blaming his employer as Im sure there were plenty of other places with the same situation.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: To do or not to do

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:17 pm

Jeff, last night's situation was odd. Normally, I think people in Louisville have proper respect for tornado warnings, but last night, a lot of people said, was the least scary tornado warning in the history of Louisville. A couple of intense thunderstorms came through - three small but noisy ones lined up like a freight train - and much to eveyone's surprise including the Weather Service, they started sprouting little funnel clouds. Most of them were F0 or less, and apparently only the one at Churchill Downs reached the ground, where it banged up the roof of a horse barn but didn't even hurt the horses inside. Across the city there was lots of pounding rain, but no hail that I saw around this part of town, and no funnel clouds that I could see or hear. I think most of the city was on alert, and if things had gone weird you would have seen a lot of blue streaks as people headed for the basement stairs. But the reality on the street just didn't seem to match the warnings, so people kept an eye out, but generally kept on doing whatever they were doing.

Again, I don't mean to sound blase about tornadoes, which can be horrifying, but this was just a very minimal tornado event even though there were a lot of wacky looking storm clouds with small funnels dangling as they flew by.
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:34 pm

My oldest son who was at our house in St Matthews described the weather in much the same way. The winds/tornado kinda came out of nowhere.For the most part I honestly dont pay a lot of attention to the sirens and the over-hype of the local weather guys but in hindsight of the aftermath in Joplin and much of the south I was curious as to a business having a plan in place for these situations. I realize you can't plan for everything and announcing to guests in a crowded restaurant that a tornado was bearing down on them would surely cause a riot.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:30 am

I was in Vincenzos one night several years ago and a tornado came across the river, they herded us into the basement and we all passed around bottles of wine with the servers and chefs. We felt pretty secure that building used to be the Federal Reserve bank.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:45 am

Gary Guss wrote:I was in Vincenzos one night several years ago and a tornado came across the river, they herded us into the basement and we all passed around bottles of wine with the servers and chefs. We felt pretty secure that building used to be the Federal Reserve bank.

A similar thing happened to us during the windstorm in July of 2004 at 211 Clover Lane. It also happened to be my first date with my wife.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

by Brian Taylor Clark » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Gary Guss wrote:I was in Vincenzos one night several years ago and a tornado came across the river, they herded us into the basement and we all passed around bottles of wine with the servers and chefs. We felt pretty secure that building used to be the Federal Reserve bank.

Good timing sir, good timing....
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:13 pm

by JohnS » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:22 am

Just my two cents on the whole thing - I think that the recent trend towards an almost comical over-dramatization of anything that even resembles a severe storm is creating a 'Chicken Little Effect'.

The local TV stations have a 'my Vipr is bigger than your SuperDoppler' thing going on, and they push it so hard that people tune it out (I call it 'Doppler Humping). When/if a real tornado blows through, I'm betting that the casualties will be much higher than they should have been because people just assume it is another 'TV Stormgasm' and go about their merry way.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:38 pm

JohnS wrote:Just my two cents on the whole thing - I think that the recent trend towards an almost comical over-dramatization of anything that even resembles a severe storm is creating a 'Chicken Little Effect'.

The local TV stations have a 'my Vipr is bigger than your SuperDoppler' thing going on, and they push it so hard that people tune it out (I call it 'Doppler Humping). When/if a real tornado blows through, I'm betting that the casualties will be much higher than they should have been because people just assume it is another 'TV Stormgasm' and go about their merry way.

You are SO right about this...it's like the boy who cried wolf!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"