Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

looking for some books......

no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

looking for some books......

by Becky M » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:34 pm

My daughter is in AP classes and has some required literature this summer. We usually borrow from the library but she is actually required to purchase them this time for notetaking, etc.

I have never purchased books online so do not know what is a reputable site, i have heard a bit of halfpricebooks, but dont know if they are trustworthy. or if purchasing online is worth it, because of shipping charges......

Does anyone have any of these books that they are willing to sell or know of a place where they can be purchased at a reasonable price? i dont mind used, as long as it is in ok condition.

Modern Lit

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall

The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night by Mark Haddon

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Classic Lit

A Separate Peace by John Knowles

Our Town by Thornton Wilder

The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

My Antonia by Willa Cather
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: looking for some books......

by Matthew D » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:52 pm

If price is your main driving force, I'd check for used books on Amazon. It's sort of a frustrating arrangement because 1) you're not quite sure of the book quality (although there are categories to guide you), 2)the listed price always gets inflated by shipping, and 3) as the books are coming from individual sellers, so you will be paying shipping on each individual purchase. It's basically an arrangement where Amazon connects buyer and seller and takes a cut for the facilitation.

It can't be that frustrating, though, because I've used it for years, continue to do so, and direct my students to do so as well. Just give yourself plenty of time of lead time, as the shipping can be on the slow side (depending on the seller). Also, make sure you buy for a seller who has a good rating, easier to trust both their description of the book's quality and that you will receive your purchase.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:35 pm

thanks.... i have never bought from amazon before but will check it out. time is a bit of an important thing because she has to write detailed notes and a couple of reports on these. And this is just one class her other AP class is also asking for a huge summer project.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:20 pm

I bought most of my college textbooks from Amazon and Half.com (ebay's book site) and rarely ran into shipping issues. Most of the time I'd get my books within a week, often sooner, and they were usually much less than I'd pay on campus or in Borders. People were usually pretty honest about the condition of the book so if it said "like new" it didn't show up with highlighter on every page, bent corners and looking like it was ran over.

Do read the reviews of the sellers, sometimes it's worth paying an extra fifty cents to go with a seller that has a lot of positive feedback and comments on the fast shipping. If you can find one seller for most of your books, a lot of the larger sellers specialize so it's not too hard to do, you'll save big time on shipping.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:49 pm

Madeline M wrote: Do read the reviews of the sellers, sometimes it's worth paying an extra fifty cents to go with a seller that has a lot of positive feedback and comments on the fast shipping. If you can find one seller for most of your books, a lot of the larger sellers specialize so it's not too hard to do, you'll save big time on shipping.

Madeline, you said what I was trying to say. Don't buy the cheapest book. Buy from the most reliable seller at the best available price. Had never thought about bundling - that's a great idea.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:55 am

Half.com as the others have said. It is my go-to site for used books, cds, and video games. You are protected through the Buyer Protection Policy, which I've used, that actually works pretty well.

http://www.half.ebay.com/
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:13 am

Becky M wrote:

Modern Lit

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall $1

The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night by Mark Haddon

The Help by Kathryn Stockett $8

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer $5

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini $2

Classic Lit

A Separate Peace by John Knowles $2

Our Town by Thornton Wilder $2

The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines $3

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway $3

My Antonia by Willa Cather $1

All priced from half.com. Shipping is at most $3.50 per book. You are looking at $27 for the books, plus a max of $35 for shipping. This doesn't include The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night. It is not available through half.com.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:31 am

Try Readers corner in St. Matthews, they have a moving sale going on and they may have most of these with no shipping. Need to go today as its their last day in St. Matthews.

http://www.areaderscorner.com/

Searchable list of stuff they have also
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:30 am

My daughter did all AP classes through school and was able to find all of her required reading books at either 1/2 Price Books (there's one on Westport Rd and one on Hurstbourne Ln.) or A Readers Corner on Breckinridge Ln. She did have to order some very obscure books on drama on line but I can't remember which site she use. (sorry!).
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:45 am

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:46 pm

i love book and music exchange in the highlands. they actually have a pretty decent classics section. i don't think i've ever gone in there looking for a specific title and left empty handed.
chi mangia bene, viva bene.

amen.