Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Traffic Changes - St. Matthews

no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Traffic Changes - St. Matthews

by Matthew D » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:22 pm

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110602/NEWS01/306020070/Safety-improvements-change-busy-St-Matthews-intersection?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

No longer going to be able to cross Chenoweth to go from westbound Westport to Frankfort. Not sure if St. Matthews Ave. is ready to take on this new traffic load. Seems like they are messing up one intersection to fix another.

Thoughts?
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Traffic Changes - St. Matthews

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:00 pm

Thoughts? I hate it and think it's stupid. This is because I go through that way several times a week. :P
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:22 am

Robin Garr wrote:Thoughts? I hate it and think it's stupid. This is because I go through that way several times a week. :P

I agree.

I don't see how this will make the railroad crossing any safer.

Sounds like my intake of Lonnie's dogs will be increasing; can't drive past that place without getting one.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:42 am

Robin Garr wrote:Thoughts? I hate it and think it's stupid. This is because I go through that way several times a week. :P

The first time I head out the back entrance of the BBC and turn left, I'm not going to be too happy.

On a serious note, I don't like this change as a cyclist. Used to be able to slide through St. Matthews pretty easily using Willis to St. Matthews. That intersection at Shelbyville is going to be a mess now.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Matthew D wrote:The first time I head out the back entrance of the BBC and turn left, I'm not going to be too happy.

It should still be possible to come in Westport, hang a right to go north on Chenoweth, and then pull a quick U in front of the tire store, head back south and hook around Eclipse bank to continue west on Frankfort Avenue as planned.

Of course, a fast train could screw this up ...
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:01 pm

THIS!! That's how we get home from Kroger! Guess we will take either Hubbards or Chenoweth to Brownsboro instead.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Heather L wrote:THIS!! That's how we get home from Kroger!

Kroger, and Target, and Paul's, and Seafood Connection, and we're really active at St. Matthew's Episcopal, too. GRRRR!
Guess we will take either Hubbards or Chenoweth to Brownsboro instead.

I guess. We actually sometimes go over Brownsboro to get to St. Matt's, but coming home it seems more out of the way.

I wonder why it doesn't occur to them to seek public input before they make some kind of significant traffic-changing deal like this. More often than not they're wrong. (Example, changing the exit lanes from I-64 to Grinstead East and moving the straight-ahead arrow from the left lane to the right. Now one car going straight keeps a ton of cars from being able to turn right on red and go out on Grinstead. :P

I'd also argue that traffic at Cannons and Dutchmans actually moves SLOWER since they replaced the four-way sign with a traffic light. And don't even start me about all the two-way streets they've put in downtown. :P
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:41 pm

At least they are not too close-minded to undo some of their major mistakes. I'm thinking specifically of the poor changes they made at Grinstead and Bardstown. Sometimes you just have to accept that the current but flawed option is the best available. They learned that, but not before screwing up first.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Matthew D wrote:At least they are not too close-minded to undo some of their major mistakes. I'm thinking specifically of the poor changes they made at Grinstead and Bardstown. Sometimes you just have to accept that the current but flawed option is the best available. They learned that, but not before screwing up first.

Actually, I go through Grinstead and Bardstown fairly often, too, but a little less than St. Matthews. I got the impression that making the center lane left-only and the right lane both straight and right (same configuration as the I-64-Grinstead ramp I was talking about) was a bad idea for the same reasons.

But I LIKE the protected green arrows on both Eastern Parkway and Grinstead at Bardstown. That strikes me as a logical improvement to what had been significant backups.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:31 pm

It caught me by surpise on Friday, as I was driving from my law office (on Westport Rd) to the Fish House for a lunch meeting...I was NOT pleased - but the Fish House was good, as usual.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Matthew D wrote:At least they are not too close-minded to undo some of their major mistakes. I'm thinking specifically of the poor changes they made at Grinstead and Bardstown. Sometimes you just have to accept that the current but flawed option is the best available. They learned that, but not before screwing up first.

Actually, I go through Grinstead and Bardstown fairly often, too, but a little less than St. Matthews. I got the impression that making the center lane left-only and the right lane both straight and right (same configuration as the I-64-Grinstead ramp I was talking about) was a bad idea for the same reasons.

But I LIKE the protected green arrows on both Eastern Parkway and Grinstead at Bardstown. That strikes me as a logical improvement to what had been significant backups.

So, are we agreeing that the change (which has been reversed) was a bad idea, in regards to Grinstead and Bardstown? I'm having trouble following what we are agreeing or disagreeing on.

I too like the Eastern changes.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Matthew D wrote:So, are we agreeing that the change (which has been reversed) was a bad idea, in regards to Grinstead and Bardstown? I'm having trouble following what we are agreeing or disagreeing on.

I think we're agreeing. :oops: I thought there had been a series of changes, but I like the way it is now.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:07 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Matthew D wrote:So, are we agreeing that the change (which has been reversed) was a bad idea, in regards to Grinstead and Bardstown? I'm having trouble following what we are agreeing or disagreeing on.

I think we're agreeing. :oops: I thought there had been a series of changes, but I like the way it is now.

I agree that we are agreeing. Tough to articulate traffic-pattern changes in words, especially when changes have since been undone.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:49 am

I think the Grinstead/Bardstown intersection is better now than when they first put the turn lane in, but they really need to make Grinstead no-parking on both sides from Baxter to at least Cherokee. It drives me crazy to have to change lanes two or three times just to get through that area when I'm traveling through on Grinstead.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:59 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:I think the Grinstead/Bardstown intersection is better now than when they first put the turn lane in, but they really need to make Grinstead no-parking on both sides from Baxter to at least Cherokee. It drives me crazy to have to change lanes two or three times just to get through that area when I'm traveling through on Grinstead.

Good idea. At least during morning and evening commuter rush hours, if they have to compromise.