Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Bathtub Reglazing

User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Bathtub Reglazing

by Beth K. » Tue May 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Has anyone here ever had their tub refinished? If so, were you happy with the result? And, if you don't mind sharing, how much did it run?

Ours is pretty porous and I would love to fix it without having to replace it.
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

Re: Bathtub Reglazing

by Brian Taylor Clark » Tue May 24, 2011 1:29 pm

You really only have two options, electrostatic painting and a d.i.y. kit they sell at Lowes/Home Depot.
Either one lets off a noxious, intoxicating odor (not in a good way:) ), but obviously doing it yourself you're forced to be hovering over it when applying. The DIY kit has a few steps, sanding, neutralizing, and etching if I remember correctly, prior to finishing. The kit is about $40-50 and comes with all you need including foam roller. It turned out really well, but is was part of a renovation for resale, so I never returned to see how it held up.
The other option is electrostatic. I've used Bowles many times to do it, both regular tubs and clawfoot. My cost hovered around $300, with regular tubs cheaper than clawfoot. Turns out nice, seems to be a better hardened enamel when finished. Again I've never seen them years down the road. You CANNOT put rubber mats down on either of these surfaces after this as it will leave permanent marks on tub.
If you're looking to make it look better and just get you down the road, those kits would be my suggestion. (i.e. you plan on remodeling/selling soon). Heck, you could do it 6 times for the price of Bowles once! I will say Bowles did a nice job though. Did I mention how bad the smell is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If DIY, set up serious positive ventilation, it's like oil based paint X10.
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Re: Bathtub Reglazing

by Beth K. » Thu May 26, 2011 10:57 am

Le sigh.

Thanks Brian. I'm not really a fan of either of those options. We could get a brand new tub for not much more than the fee that Bowles would charge. And we have a small bathroom with a small window, so I don't know how well we could ventilate. We have a 2-year-old, so that's pretty important. Much to think about, much to think about. . . I'm not marking it off my list yet!