Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Old local crime info

no avatar
User

Barb T

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:57 pm

South Louisville

Old local crime info

by Barb T » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:42 am

I have an unusual question about this area that I have not been able to find an answer to in any other way. I am seeking info on a crime that took place about 1980 or 1981. It was a...uh...a murder. I know it was in the CJ or Lou Times but I don't have the energy to scan every sheet for those years. I want to know if the crime was ever solved. This involved an elderly lady. Does anyone have any suggestions about a feasible way to obtain the info? It means a lot to me. Thanks. Barb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Old local crime info

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:48 am

Barb T wrote:I have an unusual question about this area that I have not been able to find an answer to in any other way. I am seeking info on a crime that took place about 1980 or 1981. It was a...uh...a murder. I know it was in the CJ or Lou Times but I don't have the energy to scan every sheet for those years. I want to know if the crime was ever solved. This involved an elderly lady. Does anyone have any suggestions about a feasible way to obtain the info? It means a lot to me. Thanks. Barb

Try calling the LMPD, Barb ... if you get somebody in Community Relations in a good mood, they might help.
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:16 am

Start with http://vitals.rootsweb.com/ky/death/search.cgi. If she died in KY, you can look up the name and find a death date. You might find a folder on the case at the library. They kept folders on news articles for several decades. The library also kept index cards well into the 1970's on newspaper articles, maybe later. (I don't need much past the 1920's for family tree research) I'll ponder on it a bit. Let me know if you need some more ideas!

MissChele
MissChele
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:38 am

If it was in Jefferson County, her death certificate should be available from the Health Department.
no avatar
User

Barb T

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:57 pm

South Louisville

by Barb T » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:25 am

The murder took place in Audubon Park. I have tried contacting them with no responses. I thought maybe they didn't want to have such a beautiful area associated with such a heinous crime. I appreciate all the kind suggestions and will try again. Back then, would this have been covered by LPD or was the Audubon Park force large enough to handle a complicated homicide? Thanks to all. Barb T
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:53 am

Barb T wrote:Back then, would this have been covered by LPD or was the Audubon Park force large enough to handle a complicated homicide? Thanks to all. Barb T

Barb, as I recall it from my days on the police beat, murders and other major crimes in small cities would have gone over to the Jefferson County police (now LMPD).