Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

Where to have watches repaired?

by Leann C » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:05 pm

I am quickly accumulating a collection of non-functioning watches. Two of them only need battery replacement (I think). But the last time we had the batteries replaced, there was a whole ordeal about having to send them away or they wouldn't be water-proof anymore. It took weeks.

Is there anyone locally that can change out the batteries on a couple of water-proof watches and repair the other one....which seems to have a broken wind-up thingy. Would prefer someplace inside the Watterson since we're in the Highlands.

Thanks in advance!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Where to have watches repaired?

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:28 pm

You have got to go to this old-line family firm. They're amazing, family owned for generations, very service oriented and remarkably fairly priced. They put a battery in my Seiko, fixed the band, and most amazing, did a great rehab job on a wacky old collectible French watch, a Vulcain Skeleton, that I bought on eBay in non-working condition. :)

George M Krekel Jewelers Inc
237 S. 5th St,
(502) 584-2230

I believe the older gent in the store is Mr. Krekel himself. East side of Fifth between ... um, Liberty and Jefferson, I think. Or maybe Jefferson and Market. STRONG recommendation.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Thanks Robin! I'll definitely give them a try. ......tomorrow. Now that the deluge is upon us.
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:56 am

Here's an additional option:

I've been taking watches to Jon Alexander for years now. His shop is located at 173 Sears Avenue (within sight of the firehouse near the train tracks in St. Matthews). The building has a bunch of maroon awnings. His suite, #174 is around the back of the building. The phone number is 897-5984. He takes off from 1p to 2p for lunch though.

He's changed batteries in inexpensive watches and rehab'd some nice watches for me as well.

Cheers,

Doug
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Doug W wrote: Jon Alexander for years now. His shop is located at 173 Sears Avenue (within sight of the firehouse near the train tracks in St. Matthews).

Doug, do you know if he used to have a shop out in Dupont Circle? His name reminds me of a guy I encountered with a small watchband job, oh, maybe 15 years ago. If it's the same gent - and I'm not saying it is, only asking - then he displayed such a negative personality to me that day that I wrote him and his shop off my "recommend" list forever.

If if it's a different guy, okayfine ... but the fellow I'm thinking about had the same name.
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:01 pm

Mr. Alexander is the same gentleman who had the shop in DuPont. He can be a little ornery, but I guess I've always found that a little entertaining. He's always done on the spot battery changes and even minor repairs at a very good price in my experience. I've recently had him do some major work on an expensive watch and and I thought the costs of parts and labor were quite reasonable. He also stands behind his work. I've also purchased an automatic winder from him and found the price good as well.

I can see how he might rub some people the wrong way.

I'm a watch guy (currently 6 in rotation) though, so I guess I enjoy chatting with him too much.

Cheers,

Doug
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:05 pm

Doug W wrote:I'm a watch guy (currently 6 in rotation) though, so I guess I enjoy chatting with him too much.

Makes sense to me, Doug! Thanks for the response.
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:47 pm

I take my watches to the jewelry store in Mid-City Mall. The woman who seems to know every other person that walks in was so friendly and gave me a discount just because.