Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Stay Safe!

User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: Stay Safe!

by Lois Mauk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks, Justin.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:28 am

Buy a weather radio with S.A.M.E. technology, set it up correctly and heed the warnings/information. I'll be glad you did.

.......and John, you have it exacly right: Your link is where we get our advanced info from and act upon. It's eavesdropping on the conversations between NWS stations, where the actual forecasters coordinate broadcasts and is the most accurate of all the sources. We weather nerds view it as the Holy Grail with all that that implies. It's not a minute by minute blow by blow. It's where trends and analysis occur and is honest in both predictions and discussion.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:BYour link is where we get our advanced info from and act upon. It's eavesdropping on the conversations between NWS stations, where the actual forecasters coordinate broadcasts and is the most accurate of all the sources.

I'll take my weather from a government employee at the good ol' National Weather Service ANY day over some guy on TV wearing make up.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:51 pm

Oh yeah...and this. :? :roll: :roll:

http://www.wave3.com/story/14072838/nat ... udget-cuts

"It is an agency whose mission is to save lives, but now it is fighting to save its own. With the promise of sweeping federal budget cuts, the National Weather Service is facing one of the biggest hits with about 30 percent of its budget at risk..."
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:45 pm

Steve P wrote:Oh yeah...and this. :? :roll: :roll:

http://www.wave3.com/story/14072838/nat ... udget-cuts

"It is an agency whose mission is to save lives, but now it is fighting to save its own. With the promise of sweeping federal budget cuts, the National Weather Service is facing one of the biggest hits with about 30 percent of its budget at risk..."

Yeah, we don't need no stinkin' gubmint NWS. Everyone should just be sure to have a Facebook friend 35 miles or so to the west.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Bill P wrote:Was there a storm last night that warranted all that hysteria by local media?
Seems to me that media coverage of weather events (snow, thunderstorms, floods) goes a bit overboard in this town. I'm fearful that given all this exaggerated coverage, people will tend to ignore warnings when a truly hazardous event is imminent.

i am one that is sometimes skeptical about all the hype sometimes, but.....

We were so VERY blessed with the storm that passed through last week. I was following the coverage and heard the sirens and kept wondering, will i have to move the kids? Well, i went outside and kind of stacked their toys up closely, i figured that Little Tykes plastic being carried away could hurt someone or something since it is large and virtually indestructible. As i was out there i must admit i was mesmerized. It was soooooo beautifully calm.....and i was drawn to the sky... it was really weird. I just kept looking at it and walking around my front yard. My husband called me in, telling me i was nuts. And then within a few short minutes, the lightning and thunder started, and the wind picked up. At this point, we still had power but the wind was crazy and it was beginning to rain. so i just moved the baby away from the window.

Then we lost power...... and it got crazy. We both ran to get the kids out of their rooms and into the hallway. I opened the front door and was looking outside.... Dont ask me what the heck i was trying to see at 12:30 am in this kind of storm. But... what i couldnt see i heard. It was all a mass of gray and rain, but it sounded like ..... jeez, i have NEVER witnessed something like that.... it sounded like a train, but scary, and louder, i really cant describe it. It was as if something imminent was upon us. At the same time i decided to slam the door shut it felt as if it was being sucked away from me! And then the whole house shook and the windows sounded like teeth chattering! the babies screamed, and i held my voice in my throat and i believe i called on God like never before.

and just like that.... it was gone. We didnt have power for a day or so, but we didnt have any damage at all. But, just a couple of streets down, whole trees were uprooted, and the houses had some severe damage. You could actually "see" the path it took.

so.... no, i dont think it was over exaggerated. If i had been not been watching the coverage i would have thought it was just some rain, and though nothing happened to my children. I am glad i huddled them all in the hallway.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:25 am

Well Wednesday morning in Oldham Co, (also known as the "we can't be bothered with disaster alarms around here!" county.) I signed up for the phone alert for severe weather (offered by the county) after the last storm . I got a call this morning at 6:40 AM. The nice man on the recording warned me in a very sincere and stern voice that there was a TORNADO WARNING for Oldham Co and to TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY! I thought it was rather odd since all the birds were singing. (Perhaps they were warning their friends as well.) A quick check on my laptop told me the warning had long expired. I guess the nice people at the phone center (614 area code for Columbus OH) didn't want to wake me.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:40 am

Carla G wrote:Well Wednesday morning in Oldham Co, (also known as the "we can't be bothered with disaster alarms around here!" county.) I signed up for the phone alert for severe weather (offered by the county) after the last storm . I got a call this morning at 6:40 AM. The nice man on the recording warned me in a very sincere and stern voice that there was a TORNADO WARNING for Oldham Co and to TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY! I thought it was rather odd since all the birds were singing. (Perhaps they were warning their friends as well.) A quick check on my laptop told me the warning had long expired. I guess the nice people at the phone center (614 area code for Columbus OH) didn't want to wake me.

Get one of these.

http://amzn.com/B00176T9OY
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:52 am

JustinHammond wrote:
Carla G wrote:Well Wednesday morning in Oldham Co, (also known as the "we can't be bothered with disaster alarms around here!" county.) I signed up for the phone alert for severe weather (offered by the county) after the last storm . I got a call this morning at 6:40 AM. The nice man on the recording warned me in a very sincere and stern voice that there was a TORNADO WARNING for Oldham Co and to TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY! I thought it was rather odd since all the birds were singing. (Perhaps they were warning their friends as well.) A quick check on my laptop told me the warning had long expired. I guess the nice people at the phone center (614 area code for Columbus OH) didn't want to wake me.

Get one of these.

http://amzn.com/B00176T9OY

Going shopping today!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 pm

The NWS issued the tornado warning in the OC at 6:03am...at 6:24am I received the "phone alert" message notifying me of the tornado warning in Oldham...by that time, the storm cell had moved on to Henry and Trimble counties...I don't know what their storm alert system consists of -- maybe a kid on a bicycle.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Just watched the 7 PM news on WAVE 3, before I spit up in my mouth...a full 10-12 minutes devoted to weather in Birmingham. AL....working for us I suppose, but is this what we want or need in local weather hysteria?:
Previous