Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

Greyhounds and treating animals right

by Carolyne Davis » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:18 pm

Lois Mauk wrote:I really like the silicone brushes too. ... Lois

I noticed that your icon has a couple of greyhounds and that you think sillicone brushes are "greyt" (a greyhound owner inside joke). Leads me to believe you own greys????

(Split from Kitchen Doodads thread and moved to OT section by moderator)
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:06 pm

I guess the jig is up, huh? You're right. I'm owned by three greyhounds. (Sorry, the "greyt" thing is kind of a habit.)

Lois
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lois' greys

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:03 am

They are all beautiful! My beautiful girl passed on a couple of years ago "Polly"was a rescue from Auburn University's Veterinary research Lab where they conducted "wound studies" on her by cutting her open and watching her heal. As if they don't have bad enough existances anyway. This, after being taken to an unscupulous vet who was supposed to put her down (which is done more often than we would like to think) but sold her out the back door instead. Horrible industry - can't wait until it's banned. Unlike Kentucky, where the race horses live better than most people, greyhounds who race live in deplorable conditions.

Now that I'm off my soapbox, maybe a few greyhound stickers on my kitchen aid are in order!
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:09 pm

Well, Carolyne, I can hook you up with the Greyhound "stickers". My husband is the owner of http://www.GreyhoundMagnets.com! Just let us know if you need anything. (He's also the President of GPA/Louisville.)

Lois
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:25 pm

Lois if you had named one of your pups Agony instead of Tribute you could have had the Agony Andy Ecstasy.

I'm sorry.
So very very sorry.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:34 pm

Lois-
After I posted my last post I went back and read the post from Carolyne -something I should have done BEFORE I posted - and realized that my post seemed rather heartless and cruel in light of Carolyne's previous post.
I apologize to you, Carolyne and the rest of our readers if it seemed that way; it was not intended that way.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:24 pm

Don't sweat it, Carla. I thought your comment was funny as hell!!!
Wish I'd thought of it.

Lois
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

Re: Lois' greys

by James Paul » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:43 am

Carolyne Davis wrote:They are all beautiful! My beautiful girl passed on a couple of years ago "Polly"was a rescue from Auburn University's Veterinary research Lab where they conducted "wound studies" on her by cutting her open and watching her heal. As if they don't have bad enough existances anyway. This, after being taken to an unscupulous vet who was supposed to put her down (which is done more often than we would like to think) but sold her out the back door instead. Horrible industry - can't wait until it's banned. Unlike Kentucky, where the race horses live better than most people, greyhounds who race live in deplorable conditions.

Now that I'm off my soapbox, maybe a few greyhound stickers on my kitchen aid are in order!

Sorry to hear about your hound Ms Davis but the truth is Horse Racing is no better. Everyone will agree they think Dog fighting is cruel.some folks like it.
I don't like it at all but it is no different.

The long and tall of it is one day your pet will be in your home and you will be out on the porch. Animal cruelty is a joke and we are the brunt of it.

Dog Fighting
Cock Fighting
Dog racing
Horse racing
It's all the same thing. Soon the animals will own us.
They do all ready.

Please don't take this as personal. I saw you on your soap box so I got on mine...LOL I 'm done now....

:wink: :)
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 am

by NicoleP » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:02 pm

I was at my vet this past weekend (cat receiving chemotherapy, so I am practically living there) and met a woman in the waiting room who had just adopted two of the most beautiful greyhound mixes from a kill shelter. She told me that in that area of Kentucky (the place escapes me) there is a backyard breeder who crosses greyhounds with airedales and just dumps the puppies who aren't "perfect" onto shelters or the the side of the road. It broke my heart, these dogs were beautiful and so sweet.
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Lois' greys

by Carolyne Davis » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:19 am

[Sorry to hear about your hound Ms Davis but the truth is Horse Racing is no better. Everyone will agree they think Dog fighting is cruel.some folks like it.
I don't like it at all but it is no different.

The long and tall of it is one day your pet will be in your home and you will be out on the porch. Animal cruelty is a joke and we are the brunt of it.

Dog Fighting
Cock Fighting
Dog racing
Horse racing
It's all the same thing. Soon the animals will own us.
They do all ready.

Please don't take this as personal. I saw you on your soap box so I got on mine...LOL I 'm done now....

:wink: :)[/quote]

I am not taking your post personally because, either I am stupid or you are making no sense. Your ranting confuses me. Are you an animal lover and angry at all industry that employs their use or are you an animal hater and angry that the abused ones seem to get treated better than
some humans? At any rate you seem rather angry in general and for that I am sorry. Also, I would like to note that while dog RACING is deplorable, it in no way compares to the inhumane travesty of dog FIGHTING. My dog was a racer, not a fighter! :)
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

by Shannon W » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:24 pm

I would argue that horse racing is equally as cruel as dog racing and any other event where animals are used for our "entertainment." True, winning horses are well cared for, because they're money makers for the owners. Losing horses...you really don't want to know what happens to them. It's deplorable. There are several local organizations dedicated to placing retired/losing horses, before they meet their cruel fate.

Animal testing, fighting and circuses...should go without saying. Zoos? Depends on the zoo. They still make me sad when I see the animals pacing and bored. (I realize some are not able to survive in the wild anyway.)

Could anyone provide information on local greyhound adoption information? I'm looking for some basic information...we have a 17 month old who is very gentle (but playful) with our 2 cats. We do not have a fenced yard, but love to go for walks. I would love to adopt a greyhound, but I want it to be a good fit for everyone. Thanks!
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:26 pm

"Could anyone provide information on local greyhound adoption information? I'm looking for some basic information...we have a 17 month old who is very gentle (but playful) with our 2 cats. We do not have a fenced yard, but love to go for walks. I would love to adopt a greyhound, but I want it to be a good fit for everyone. Thanks!"

I would suggest that a greyhound is not a good dog in your situation. Although they are gentle and would probably not hurt the kid or cats, they are subject to chase them. This can cause problems such as knocking down the kid and subsequent injuries. Without a fenced yard you would have to walk them a couple times day, always on a leash and they will attempt to chase anything .. cats, squirrels, other dogs, etc. They should never be off leash.

Stepson got one when they had a young child and had to return it because of the above problems. I looked into getting one a few years ago. Probably would have worked (no kids .. no cats .. fenced yard), but ended up with a dog the stepdaughter had to get rid of because it couldn't get along with the new husbands dog.

If you want a dog, my suggestion would be a smallish (25#) mutt. From Humane Society or Shamrock Society. Make sure the dog will tolerate cats. NO PUPPY. Two/three years old and gentle.

Keep in mind that will also keep a dog from being killed, just the same as adopting a greyhound.