Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Insight Cable for sale

User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

Insight Cable for sale

by Steve A » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:35 am

I ran across this article that says that Insight Cable is up for sale.

I was surprised to see that they're owned by the Carlyle Group private equity firm. From the wiki about them: "Brand-name companies that Carlyle owns include: Dunkin' Brands, which owns Dunkin' Donuts and Baskin-Robbins, and oral hygiene company Water Pik. Carlyle, in a consortium of investors, recently acquired Hertz, the world's largest rental car corporation." Besides those companies, they have their hands in everything from nursing homes to energy to defense contracting.

You might also know them as the subject of Fahrenheit 911 a few years back.

Editorial comment: Since they're valuing Insight at $4 bil., I suspect whoever buys them will be raising our cable bills again. It's really kind of curious that even though the infrastructure's built out and there seems to be competition (Insight, AT&T, satellite), rates never seem to do anything but go up. Maybe it's time to drag the rabbit ears out or read words printed on paper (perish the thought).
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Insight Cable for sale

by Steve P » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:47 am

Steve,

My understanding is that cable TV providers pretty much monopolize (or at least did) most areas of the country. Here it's Insight, other areas it's Comcast, etc. I've been a DirecTV guy for 10 or 12 years...so I have no idea if this is still the case or not.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Ricky: What, do you own space? No, NASA does.
[pronounces it "Nay-Saw"]
Satellite Employee: Naysaw?
Ricky: Rocket people? Perhaps you've heard of them?
Satellite Employee: It's NASA!
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:02 pm

John Hagan wrote:Ricky: What, do you own space? No, NASA does.
[pronounces it "Nay-Saw"]
Satellite Employee: Naysaw?
Ricky: Rocket people? Perhaps you've heard of them?
Satellite Employee: It's NASA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8siCAthFZw

(warning - contains language not appropriate for prudes) :wink:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:49 am

Because of my recent work I find myself in many different, high end homes throughout the Louisville metro area. Out of maybe 2 dozen houses (all would have been valued at over $400 K) none had premium channels with their Insight service. All used basic, bottom of the line channel offerings - i.e. no HBO, Showtime. I guess I'm wondering if these homes could afford it and aren't willing to buy it who is?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:01 am

Carla G wrote:Because of my recent work I find myself in many different, high end homes throughout the Louisville metro area. Out of maybe 2 dozen houses (all would have been valued at over $400 K) none had premium channels with their Insight service. All used basic, bottom of the line channel offerings - i.e. no HBO, Showtime. I guess I'm wondering if these homes could afford it and aren't willing to buy it who is?

That fits us. Who needs HBO when you've got streaming Netflix, etc.?
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:55 am

Wont be too much longer and the cable business will be dead. They will still be in the broadband business however which will be too bad, we pay more for the crappiest slow broadband than most other countries, thanks InSight
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:59 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Carla G wrote:Because of my recent work I find myself in many different, high end homes throughout the Louisville metro area. Out of maybe 2 dozen houses (all would have been valued at over $400 K) none had premium channels with their Insight service. All used basic, bottom of the line channel offerings - i.e. no HBO, Showtime. I guess I'm wondering if these homes could afford it and aren't willing to buy it who is?

DirecTV is in the habit of "comping" loyal customers a couple of months of premium channels every year. Despite being "comped" I don't know how many times, we've yet to watch one single program on any of the premium channels...The programming is that weak.
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

turn left

by Steve A » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:23 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Wont be too much longer and the cable business will be dead. They will still be in the broadband business however which will be too bad, we pay more for the crappiest slow broadband than most other countries, thanks InSight

Trust me when I say that the cable companies will find ways to make up for lost revenue to streaming videos and other delivery methods. It starts with your rates going up. Next, if you download "too much" they'll either throttle your speeds so that those HULU videos are unwatchable, or start capping bandwidth so they can cut you off if you go over their arbitrary limits. This already happens in other markets.

The real danger right now is a bad outcome of the whole net neutrality debate. If you don't already know about it, feel free to google it.
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:45 am

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:50 am

that's interesting about hertz car rental. i've been seeing their commercials a lot lately which claim that they started out as a family owned business and that they still are.
chi mangia bene, viva bene.

amen.
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Steve P wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

DirecTV is in the habit of "comping" loyal customers a couple of months of premium channels every year. Despite being "comped" I don't know how many times, we've yet to watch one single program on any of the premium channels...The programming is that weak.

Have you seen "Dexter?" Not weak.
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Nimbus Couzin wrote:Have you seen "Dexter?" Not weak.

Love Dexter. I watch it online for free.
http://www.watch-dexter-online.net/about.html
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:46 pm

The next big thing for cable providers seems to be talk of an online portal that you pay your monthly bill then you can access content from anywhere with your login.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

turn left

by Steve A » Thu May 12, 2011 7:52 am

MikeG wrote:The next big thing for cable providers seems to be talk of an online portal that you pay your monthly bill then you can access content from anywhere with your login.

AT&T U-Verse already has something like this, including a smartphone app.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu May 12, 2011 9:53 am

Robin Garr wrote:

One word; (erm...maybe two? :oops: :? ) Trueblood!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei