Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

Dog groomer recommendations (mobile/shop)?

by Brian Taylor Clark » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:47 pm

I have a giant lion. No really, my Leonberger is a shedding mess that no furminator can evidently help. Anyone have a good groomer they recommend? Thanks in advance.
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, Ky

Re: Dog groomer recommendations (mobile/shop)?

by Brian Taylor Clark » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm

oh well,I guess I'll just euthanize him.

:D JUST KIDDING! :D It really is getting bad though, everything I wear is a fur coat now!
Brian Taylor Clark
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:32 pm

:shock:

(Give it a couple of days ... traffic on this forum, most forums and the Internet in general seems to drop off on weekends. And considering that Thursday was St. Pat's and the NC-Double-A is on, this has been a long holiday weekend in Louisville.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:04 pm

Brian, be patient. I'd offer a suggestion, but grooming for my dogs involves (1) get 'em wet, (2) soap 'em up and (3) hose 'em off.

Your question did intrigue me enough to find a picture of a Lionberger:

Man alive! That's a lot of hair!!

I'm sure there are people who can recommend a good groomer for you. I was going to suggest checking into Aussie Mobile Pet Grooming:

http://yourlocal.aussiepetmobile.com/Louisville-South-Central
and
http://yourlocal.aussiepetmobile.com/Louisville-North-East
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Brian,
What a gorgeous (and BIG!) dog. Have to admit that I had to look up the breed. Maggie, our Wheaten Terrier, has thick, fine hair with an undercoat that mats terribly. We have been going to Adam Barr at The Pet Station in Norton Common's and are very pleased with him. She looks cute but, most important, he manages to do something (which other groomers haven't been able to) that really keeps the mats down between groomings. We don't take her on a schedule just when she gets grungy or smelly! I don't know what area of town you are located but we are in Oldham Co. and it is worth the effort to take her there.

Sorry I've been so long replying--certainly didn't mean to put him in jeopardy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: He looks like a terrific dog!

http://www.thepetstationinc.com/contact.html
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, Ky

by Brian Taylor Clark » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks for the replies! My boy Oliver looks just like that picture! I've soaped him up good, blow dried him, furminated him to no end, and he just keeps shedding. Evidently Im not getting all of the undercoat out, and that's what sheds like crazy. I've thought about truly shaving him like a lion, leaving him tail, face and mane, and shaving the rest, but his coat is just too beautiful!!
Brian Taylor Clark
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:29 pm

About a year ago we got a Kerry Blue Terrier, a non-shedding breed with a fairly complicated breed grooming style.We tried Aussie Pet Mobile, which was convenient, but in addition to being extremely expensive, they cut and styled him like a poodle (he's about 50 pounds and stands about two feet at the shoulders). To their credit, they came back out and sort of fixed it at no additional charge, but it just wasn't worth the price.

We now use Connie's Groom Room on Taylorsville Road, close to Bowman Field. They do a good job of cutting to breed specifications, and the full service groom is around $50, about half what Aussie charged. The facilities seem clean, and our dog has always been happy and in a good mood when we pick him up.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, Ky

by Brian Taylor Clark » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Brad. I totally forgot about them and they're really close to me. So close I dropped him off this morning, and they're still working on him at 2:30! That's alot of hair :D
Brian Taylor Clark
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Pictures! We need pictures!
Preferably before and after.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:33 pm

Brian C wrote:Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Brad. I totally forgot about them and they're really close to me. So close I dropped him off this morning, and they're still working on him at 2:30! That's alot of hair :D

They definitely take their time. We usually drop him off around 7am and are instructed to pick him up after 3. That's fine for us since we both work - it's basically a day of doggy-day-care included.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown