Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Brent M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:19 pm

Derby Tickets - how hard are these to get?

by Brent M » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:13 pm

I have family coming in for Derby this year - probably be eight of us all together and they all want to experience the Derby this year. I have never been and I'm trying to figure out whether we should go cheap and experience the infield? Or should we shell out the extra bucks and get seats in the grandstand....will that even be possible?
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Derby Tickets - how hard are these to get?

by Leann C » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:27 pm

The links below show the infield in all its glory......
If you choose to buy other tickets, you'll have to buy them from a scalper. They can be expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMiXNFH5 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJihO05y ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqJ73k_D ... re=related
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:04 pm

BrentMills wrote:I have family coming in for Derby this year - probably be eight of us all together and they all want to experience the Derby this year. I have never been and I'm trying to figure out whether we should go cheap and experience the infield? Or should we shell out the extra bucks and get seats in the grandstand....will that even be possible?

Brent - It is still possible to purchase good seats for the Oaks and Derby, but you will likely pay a premium for them. Many people place classified ads in the Courier-Journal to buy/sell tickets--just start watching the paper on a regular basis. Per Leann's post, you can also obtain them from online ticket brokers, but they will go for 2-3 times the face value (or more). Since it will be your first Derby, I would suggest opting for the less-expensive Infield and see how you like that experience...you may or may not see much racing first-hand, but it will help decide if you want to upgrade into better seats for 2012, w/o investing a lot of money off the bat--plus, the Infield crowd tends to be a more relaxed, informal atmosphere (to say the least).
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Brent M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Brent M » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:07 am

i think i am leaning away from the infield....not sure how grandma would go in there all day! ha

so is it better to look out for tickets through the courier journal than online through places like stubhub? the cheapest grandstand seat on stubhub is like $270 right now...shit! i was thinking maybe around $150 but didn't realize they would be that high

anyone got any leads for reasonable priced granstand seats this year?
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:00 am

please DON'T do the infield. The risks of nasty behavior and nasty weather are too high. Just be careful when buying brokered tickets that you buy from a reputable dealer that doesn't sell you fake seats or just take your money and run. That has been in the headlines a bit lately, no?
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

by Paula B » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:18 am

I sent you a pm
no avatar
User

Brent M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Brent M » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:05 pm

so how would i go about finding a reputable dealer? damn, this is too hard to find tickets, they need to just build another grandstand on the other side of the track!
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:55 pm

If I am not mistaken, the last couple of years Churchill Downs has had a lottery of some sort for very good seats offered at face value. Not sure about the details but I think if your picked you have an option on several tickets and different locations.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:59 pm

I was in that lottery for about 5 years, never managed to get tickets.. good luck with that idea, haven't won powerball yet either
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 pm

Wasn't sure how it worked. Just throwing it out there.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:40 am

Over the past couple of years, Churchill Downs has offered something called "Infield Club" tickets. There was some discussion about them on the TripAdvisor.com forum. Here are links to the threads....

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic- ... l#23973036

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic- ... tucky.html