Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: NBA franchise in louisville?... a reality... possibly so

by Steve P » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:27 am

I put this "dream" of a NBA franchise in the "careful what you wish for" category. First off, no "billionaire" is going to bring a franchise to town to play in a musty 50 year old arena (while the local college team plays in a brand new state of the art facility down the street) without some major-major "improvements" to said facility (think "sky boxes" and a bunch of other really-really trendy and expensive things)...Secondly, no "billionaire" is going to use their money to make these improvements (how do you think they GOT to be billionaires...they used other people's money to get there)...So where does this money come from ? Why we -give- it to them of course. Hmmmmm, how about a new "sin" tax...how about additional hotel taxes, how about...well you get my point.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 pm

J. Bruce Miller was Jefferson County Attorney (DA equivalent) back when I was a reporter for the newspapers. For what it's worth, the news staff generally judged Bruce as having a large ego lacking in sufficient intellectual underpinnings to hold it up. ;)

Watching his efforts to become a player in the sports-management world since we got back to town, I'd say, to put it as politely as I can, that I wouldn't really count on anything until the cards are dealt and laid out on the table.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:32 pm

I will believe it when I see it. I see our taxes being spent to "improve" the facility. Didn't we do that a few years back? Do I smell another Cordish-style deal in the offing? :roll:
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Hopefully no.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:J. Bruce Miller was Jefferson County Attorney (DA equivalent) back when I was a reporter for the newspapers. For what it's worth, the news staff generally judged Bruce as having a large ego lacking in sufficient intellectual underpinnings to hold it up. ;)

Watching his efforts to become a player in the sports-management world since we got back to town, I'd say, to put it as politely as I can, that I wouldn't really count on anything until the cards are dealt and laid out on the table.

I can't recall where I saw it...but I ran across an article, identifying in some detail, what this guy is spending his budget on. Based on the information in that article, I don't know that I would question his intelligence as much as I would his morals. He's definitely riding some kind of "movers and shakers" gravy train and apparently has no intention of getting off until the last stop.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Steve P wrote: He's definitely riding some kind of "movers and shakers" gravy train and apparently has no intention of getting off until the last stop.

I won't judge his morals, but what you said just there sounds like Bruce. ;)
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote: He's definitely riding some kind of "movers and shakers" gravy train and apparently has no intention of getting off until the last stop.

I won't judge his morals, but what you said just there sounds like Bruce. ;)

Perhaps the word "conscience" (as opposed to morals) was what I was looking for...