Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Netflix...Streaming

User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Netflix...Streaming

by Steve P » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:45 am

OK...So I'm thinking of buying some kind of internet-ready device (Roku, Blue Ray player, etc) so that I can do the "streaming" thing on Netflix. Does anyone have any experience with said devices ? Is this method of viewing movies/videos really as simple and convenient as it sounds ?
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

Re: Netflix...Streaming

by Madeline M » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm partial to my PS3 for streaming. It seems to have better reception than the Wii or XBox360 does and hasn't done random shut downs like the 360 has! We picked up the PS3 because it still is one of the better Blu-Rays on the market and has so many other functions...even if you don't game, it's still a pretty nice addition to the electronic collection!

Netflix is pretty easy to use...with the PS3, you just go online from the PS3 and use the site like you would at your computer. Plus you can pick up a remote for $20-$25 that functions like a tv remote and makes operating the Blu-Ray and Netflix much more user-friendly.

While I love my PS3 it does come with some sticker shock so it may not be what you have in mind. Sony has a Blu-ray player out (check Best Buy in St.Matthews) that is essentially an upgraded player from the PS3 and is Netflix ready. Or you could buy the XBox 360 with a Kinect and you could get a virtual yappy dog...no poop to pick up!
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:09 pm

I have a computer hooked up to my TV, most newer TVs have this connection. It just didn't make sense to spend $100 on a Roku, when its only feature is streaming movies. You can pick up a tower for 2 or 3 hundred buck and get a lot more value. Plus surfing the web on a large screen TV is pretty cool.

I doubt you are considering a Xbox 360, but know that Xbox Live is required to stream movies and it cost around $60 per year.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Steve P wrote:OK...So I'm thinking of buying some kind of internet-ready device (Roku, Blue Ray player, etc) so that I can do the "streaming" thing on Netflix. Does anyone have any experience with said devices ? Is this method of viewing movies/videos really as simple and convenient as it sounds ?

We have the Roku and absolutely love it. And yes, it IS as simple and convenient as it sounds. You really do need HIGH-speed access, though. Cable is fine ... DSL may be shaky.

The only slight downside is that not all films are authorized for instant streaming. I have no idea what legalities are involved, but a lot of flix aren't available and still must be ordered on DVD, so don't give up your regular Netflix membership to save a few bucks. There's something like 10,000 films - maybe more -that are available for streaming, so it will be a very long time before you run out.

So, if you have reliable and very fast 'net access, go fer it. The Roku isn't that pricey, and will pay for itself in pleasure.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:[We have the Roku and absolutely love it. And yes, it IS as simple and convenient as it sounds. You really do need HIGH-speed access, though. Cable is fine ... DSL may be shaky.

The only slight downside is that not all films are authorized for instant streaming. I have no idea what legalities are involved, but a lot of flix aren't available and still must be ordered on DVD, so don't give up your regular Netflix membership to save a few bucks. There's something like 10,000 films - maybe more -that are available for streaming, so it will be a very long time before you run out.

So, if you have reliable and very fast 'net access, go fer it. The Roku isn't that pricey, and will pay for itself in pleasure.

I'm kinda back and forth...Just looking at the reviews on Amazon, there seems to be something of a either you love it or hate it thing with Roku. I already have a Wii and I'm told you can stream movies/videos over that system but that it isn't HD capable. Right now I'm leaning toward an LG Blue Ray player.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Steve P wrote: I already have a Wii and I'm told you can stream movies/videos over that system but that it isn't HD capable. Right now I'm leaning toward an LG Blue Ray player.

My in-laws use the Wii and it works fine. I don't know about being HD capable, but haven't seen any newer or blockbuster movies listed as HD on Netflix.

I'd just take a test drive with your Wii.

HD List

http://www.netflix.com/WiHD?st=yr&lnkct ... vt=tl&so=1
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:42 pm

Roku. You'll never look back. We love it, we're canceling cable now that Hulu Plus has NBC shows like Top Chef and what have you.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:00 pm

We use our Wii and we've never had any connection problems or any other problems, and we use the lowest insight broadband connection that they offer. You don't have to buy anything extra and it is permanently on your Wii. We took the Wii on vacation recently and had access to movies with the wireless that was at the house we rented. (Not to mention the games.) I don't think I've ever seen an HD movie or show on streaming.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:06 am

Thanks all. I loaded up the Netflic "Channel" on the Wii tonight...piece of cake, even for a non-geek like me.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:59 pm

I also advocate Roku. The Wii will not stream in HD, the PS3 requires a disc be inserted each time you want to stream something, and, as Justin mentioned, Xbox 360 requires you to pay for Xbox live. The interface on these devices is less appealing than the Roku, too. We do use our PS3 for Blue-Ray.

The quality on our Roku is outstanding. For the best quality, I would recommend running an ethernet cable to it, though. Unless you have one of the rather $$$ new G-band routers, you're going to suffer with any device that isn't hardwired.

I will echo what Robin said - keep your Netflix disc account. The movie selection for streaming isn't great, though it's improving. With the Roku, however, you can also access Amazon on Demand, which has a huge selection, and I think HD movies are only around $3. The TV show selection on the Netflix steaming is pretty good.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:13 am

I also did away with cable and use Netflicks, Hulu and various other on-line TV offerings. I'm wondering how Insight will cope with all the new competition.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:35 pm

Carla G wrote:I'm wondering how Insight will cope with all the new competition.

By raising prices.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:
Carla G wrote:I'm wondering how Insight will cope with all the new competition.

By raising prices.

I just laugh snorted cola through my nose! :mrgreen:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson