Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:37 am

Alanna,
I'm a bit like you - years away from any organized religion but thinking some sort of spiritual focus is needed in life - at least, for myself. I would second the mention of the Presb. church. Years ago I did some marketing work for Pres. USA consisting of speaking with dozens of their pastors (?) from all over the USA. I found most all of them to be very kind, loving and sincere without the usual trace of he**fire judgement in their demeanor. They had a beautiful inclusive attitude as well. I guess if I were looking for a church that's where I would start.
No big revalation, just my 2 cents.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Re: Looking for church in the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:38 pm

"I would love to start attending services again and find a new church home. ...as long as it is Christian based."

I just read your post and would love to invite your family, along with all the other forumites, to the Sojourn Community Church located at 930 Mary St. Sojourn strives to be a Gospel-centered church whose vision is a "desire to see the Gospel transform everything – ourselves as individuals, our church, our city, and the world." Services are currently at 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., however, a second morning service will be added in April changing the times to 9:30 and 11:15 a.m.

You can check out the church online at http://www.sojournchurch.com, including listening to past messages. Currently, we are working through the book of Matthew, verse-by-verse. I promise that you won't fall asleep! The church just recently moved into their own facility and the body includes many young families, so the youth programs are currently in the growth stage, but I know there are plans for adding programs in the works.

I would be happy to try and answer any specific questions through private email. After many previous dissapointing experiences, our family has been immensely blessed by this church, where you have the freedom to worship God and learn how to live the Gospel in a safe (and non-legalistic) environment. Please join us!

Blessings, Gretchen.
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Trying to Find a Church

by TanyaD » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:02 pm

Alanna,

Churches vary greatly, even within the same religion, so I can suggest you do what I did when I first moved back here, which is try a new church every Sunday (a good place to start would be with any that interest you here), and then you'll have a basis for comparison as to which one seems to offer the closest to what you are seeking. Just my $.02.
no avatar
User

Kelly Herre

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:20 pm

Crescent Hill, Louisville

an actual response to your question!

by Kelly Herre » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:35 pm

In spite of all the crazy replies offered here, I hope you find something helpful! I would suggest checking out Sojourn community church.(http://sojournchurch.com). It is a very unique church and definitely not boring. I have visited before with a friend, though I am a member of another church. Blessings to you...
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Walnut Street

by Kris Billiter » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:54 pm

I know we are not in the Highlands, but if you want to take a little trip downtown, we would love to have you visit us at Walnut Street. My name is Kris and I am the Student Pastor here. I work with students in 6th-12th grades. We have very active children's and youth programs. We are a diverse church with a heart for reaching out to the neighborhood around us. Come check out one of our services at 10:50 on Sunday mornings. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or call me at the church office at 589-5290. Have a great day!

Kris
no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

Church recommendations

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:19 pm

I love my church, St. Joseph's on East Washington Street. Father David Sanchez, pastor from Puerto Rico is an incredible person and motivator. I was raised a catholic, had to go to church every Sunday until I got old enough to choose not to. It was a boring waste of my time. I experienced mass with Father Sanchez when he was at Holy Spirit. I followed him to St. Joe's and look forward to my Saturday evening mass at 4pm. He has been there 6 months and has welcomed 150 new families in that time. He also does a Spanish mass on Sundays at noon. Good luck. I remember how I felt when I was looking for a place to be excited about.
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:05 am

Lots of great suggestions- Tanya, I think I will take your advice and try a different one each week. I've got several here to get me started. Thank you to all who replied!
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:59 pm

FYI - Nice article in this weeks Velocity about Sojourn Community Church.
http://www.velocityweekly.com/apps/pbcs ... /703141104

Sorry. I don't know how to clean up the URL.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:46 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Hi Alanna,

I have several friends who attend Highland Presbyterian Church. They like it for its upbeat message and a host of activities. They also do a lot of local and regional activism and do quite a bit of interfaith dialogue and service projects. The Presbyterians are not known for any fire and brimstone throwdown. Good luck in your quest.

Highland Presbyterian Church
1011 Cherokee Rd.

Highland Presbyterian is a great church, topped only by Central Presbyterian.
Previous