Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

New CJ site

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

New CJ site

by Carla G » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:41 am

Does anyone like it? I found it rather flat and dull. I don't like a great deal of hype and flashing anything but the new site just seems so lifeless. Maybe they are trying to drive the masses back to actually buying a paper.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: New CJ site

by Matthew D » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Considering print media has a long history of misfiring when it comes to making the most of digital platforms, I was excited to see this futility continue. I'm not sure how I'd respond if one of the major print publishers figured out the intrawebs.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:17 pm

Matthew D wrote:Considering print media has a long history of misfiring when it comes to making the most of digital platforms, I was excited to see this futility continue. I'm not sure how I'd respond if one of the major print publishers figured out the intrawebs.

I think the New York Times has done a decent job of it on the content side (which is about to go back behind a paywall, apparently).

The CJ was extremely late even discovering the Internet, long barricaded in its own little Alamo amid a great deal of denial that either content or advertising could exist out there on that newfangled Web thang, and I don't think they've ever fully gotten it. Those nutty little "PRINT EXCLUSIVE" logos on a few top stories on Sundays kind of illustrate that. I wonder if anybody actually buys a newsstand copy to read a Sunday Exclusive rather than just waiting for it to show up on the 'net on Monday. Or not reading it at all.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I think the New York Times has done a decent job of it on the content side (which is about to go back behind a paywall, apparently).

The CJ was extremely late even discovering the Internet, long barricaded in its own little Alamo amid a great deal of denial that either content or advertising could exist out there on that newfangled Web thang, and I don't think they've ever fully gotten it. Those nutty little "PRINT EXCLUSIVE" logos on a few top stories on Sundays kind of illustrate that. I wonder if anybody actually buys a newsstand copy to read a Sunday Exclusive rather than just waiting for it to show up on the 'net on Monday. Or not reading it at all.

I read what looks interesting and is available. I don't purposefully return to read any certain story.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:49 pm

The new CJ site is a Gannett site, just as the CJ is really just a USA Today with a Louisville overwrap.
Compare it to the Indy Star its damned near identical, I expect the Cincy Enquirer is also the same thing

The San Francisco Chronicle gets it, so does the Oregonian and the Sacramento BEE.
I'm waiting for Rupert Murdoch's The Daily to bomb, I'll bet money he doesn't get it.

I like Newsvine my self
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:14 pm

First impression ? I like the new site better than the old site.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:04 am

Robin Garr wrote: The CJ was extremely late even discovering the Internet, long barricaded in its own little Alamo amid a great deal of denial that either content or advertising could exist out there on that newfangled Web thang, and I don't think they've ever fully gotten it.

And the funny thing, Robin, is that Barry Bingham, Jr. was actually leading the charge toward seeing what computers would mean to the newspaper industry. I'm going to tell a story that I'm a little fuzzy on some of the details now, but this is the way I remember it. At the time, I was far more impressed by Lisa than I was by Barry:

The C-J (or some affiliate or subsidiary or Bingham) had a retail computer store for a little while in the early 80's - maybe '82 or so. (Can't remember the name. It was on the west side of, maybe 5th Street, maybe between Ali and Chestnut?) Anyway, I was in there one day, looking at this really hot new Apple computer, the Lisa (which was much neater than the Mac at that time, I think, and I always wondered what happened to it) and Barry Jr. comes in, checking on store business or something. We get to talking computers and stuff. Eventually, he starts talking about how we're only a few years away from having the paper delivered directly to our computers (I'll never forget his selling point of how much the publisher will save in paper, ink, transportation and delivery costs and how the reader will get the morning paper at the touch of a button instead of walking through the snow to the paperbox in his pajamas). Anyway, he went on to explain a delivery system sort of like the Internet. I couldn't fully understand the whole idea, but it all sounded pretty forward thinking to me. He seemed to be very excited about all the coming technological changes and opportunities coming to his industry.

I bet anything that the C-J would have been a leader in Internet newspaper publishing had the Binghams not sold.
Last edited by Jeffrey D. on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:19 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Matthew D wrote:Considering print media has a long history of misfiring when it comes to making the most of digital platforms, I was excited to see this futility continue. I'm not sure how I'd respond if one of the major print publishers figured out the intrawebs.

I think the New York Times has done a decent job of it on the content side (which is about to go back behind a paywall, apparently).

I buy the Sunday paper only for the coupons and then I find where I can get the paper at a discount...did I mention I was a bargain shopper? :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:20 am

Jeffrey D. wrote:And the funny thing, Robin, is that Barry Bingham, Jr. was actually leading the charge toward seeing what computers would mean to the newspaper industry.

Your memory is exactly correct, Jeffrey. I worked at The Louisville Times and, after the merger, th CJ, during that period, and Mr. Bingham often talked about how someday people would get the newspaper on their computer, and "become their own editor" by choosing which articles they wanted to receive and how much they wanted to read about any particular subject." He had an incredibly clear vision of this particular future, and while some of us were fascinated by it, others thought he was silly.

The Data Courier firm did get a lot of material into databases, although to be honest, I'm not sure that even many of us in the building really understood (or much cared) what it was doing. :oops:
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:50 am

I'm a web techie, but from just a usability standpoint, I think the site is better than before. It feels more readable in terms of spacing, font size and sectioning, and the color scheme is a bit more pleasant.

Some complaints I held before continue on, such as a little too much advertising obtrusiveness, and the dropping of articles off the site after a short period of time when they should keep the page going with an article snippet and a link to the archive. The latter issue is what makes this site particularly unfriendly to blogs, discussion boards and Wikipedia.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist