Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Arena Design

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Arena Design

by TP Lowe » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:44 pm

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Arena Design

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:30 pm

TP Lowe wrote:So, what do you think?

My greatest fear, based on the awful design of the Kentucky International Convention Center, was that they would build a dark, uninviting building that basically threw up a wall around the block that creates a forbidding streetscape on the down-on-the-street human scale. The apparent presence of lots of glass and the plaza-like entry offers some reassurance there, although I'd like to see more drawings to check whether it's going to be open and inviting and on a human scale all the way around.

In a side note, the hiring of the Centerplate despite its very lackluster record at Slugger Field signals that the Arena Authority has no real interest in engendering excitement in the concessions department. :P
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:32 pm

I have had a chance to see several other views that we're not yet seeing on the CJ website (imagine that), and the entrance from the Washington Street side should be very cool.

There is still a lot of work to be done regarding the plaza and some of the sides where folks will be walking to/from the arena to parking areas, but I think the Arena Authority did a great job of not making this a standard box or dome.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:31 pm

Any idea what the I-64 side looks like? I'm hoping we are presenting a great face to passerby and THAT will be the side that is seen on ESPN. Make it a wide shot with Museum Plaza included for the sizzle.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:09 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Any idea what the I-64 side looks like? I'm hoping we are presenting a great face to passerby and THAT will be the side that is seen on ESPN. Make it a wide shot with Museum Plaza included for the sizzle.

As you approach from Indiana, you see the glass back of the building, and current thinking is to have a video screen on the corner of the building that drivers would see from the interstate. I'm having trouble remembering the rest of the east side of the building, but I'll let you know when I come up with it!
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:02 pm

Got an assist on looking at all 13 pictures. Looks like 2 video screens, with one on the NW corner facing 64. Three sides look good at least: front, 2nd st bridge side & 64 side. 2nd Street side looks plain.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:59 am

I wouldn't take the images of the east side too seriously just yet - there is still work to be done on the streetscape that hopefully will make it more interesting ...
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:12 pm

are they seriously going to call the building 'Downtown Arena'?
...and have the name prominently displayed all over the outside of the building, like in the renderings?

referring to it as 'the Downtown Arena' pre-construction is one thing.
actually naming it that... wow. this town is really small.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:45 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:are they seriously going to call the building 'Downtown Arena'?
...and have the name prominently displayed all over the outside of the building, like in the renderings?

They supposedly intend to sell "naming rights" to a commercial firm that will pay millions of dollars to have its name on that space. Several prominent companies (including Yum! Brands) have reportedly already ducked out.
User

Chris Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Shepherdsville

by Chris Dunn » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:They supposedly intend to sell "naming rights" to a commercial firm that will pay millions of dollars to have its name on that space. Several prominent companies (including Yum! Brands) have reportedly already ducked out.

I can see it now....The LouisvilleHotBytes Fieldhouse and Foodstuff Emporium. I'd gladly chip in 20 bucks to help fund this worthy endeavor.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:15 pm

Chris Dunn wrote:I can see it now....The LouisvilleHotBytes Fieldhouse and Foodstuff Emporium. I'd gladly chip in 20 bucks to help fund this worthy endeavor.

Great concept, but philosophically inconsistent: I hate that concept and resist it in my writing by declining to cooperate: It's the Brown and the Seelbach, not the Camberley Brown or the Seelbach Hilton; Cardinal Stadium, not the Pizza Bowl; and so it goes.

I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I coughed up $20 million of my hard-earned coin to name the arena and then wouldn't use the name when I reviewed its sports bar.

Like I've got $20 million to give away ...
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:56 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:are they seriously going to call the building 'Downtown Arena'?

Give us a small break, Ethan ... it's merely a placeholder as naming rights are sold (as others have mentioned). They left it on the artists renderings for several reasons, including so those from other areas who see perhaps one picture (from the front, for instance) would recognize where it is to be located.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:15 pm

Humanarena?
Brown-Forman Fieldhouse?
UPS Flyer?
Gannet Gardens?
Churchill Downs Cardinal Express?
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:48 am

As long as we escape the name "KFC Bucket", I'm happy.

I don't mind putting a brand name onto a new arena; it's when they totally rename the place that I hate it: Hoosierdome - RCADome, Riverfront Stadium - Cinergy Field.
Have you hugged your penguin today?
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:56 pm

I think the name may have something Blue in it!
Next