Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Arena Design

User

Ray W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:30 am

Lyndon

The New Main Street Lounge

by Ray W. » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:17 pm

Based on this city's penchant for social events...The Kentucky Derby, Catholic Picnics, and the St. James Art Fair to name a few...We should just name the Downtown Arena the "Main Street Lounge"...Heck, I recall going to a UofL football game at Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium a few years ago and was surprised at just how many fans who were NOT in their seats watching the football game...Many fans seemed to be content and having a good time catching up with friends from outside the view of the gridiron...Nobody seemed to be in a rush to get back to their seats...Of course it could have been that UofL was playing Houston and we had those "Cats" tamed early...Come to think about it...UofL has tamed a lot of Cats in The Pizza Bowl...LOL...Sorry, couldn't resist that one...
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:07 am

How about The Jack Ruby Arena and have OJ do the ground breaking?

:shock:
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:13 am

James Paul wrote:How about The Jack Ruby Arena and have OJ do the ground breaking?

:shock:

one of my old roommate's names is Jeff Ruby, and he recently moved here from Cincy, and he happens to work in the restaurant biz.
(Irony, anyone?)

we kept telling him to make reservations at Jeff ruby's just to see what happens.

no luck with the peer pressure thus far.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

by Aaron M. Renn » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:46 pm

The design of the arena is a great disappointment. I was originally concerned based on concept drawings that had been circulating for years that the arena commission would just end up cloning Conseco Fieldhouse in Indy. As much as I like Conseco, I'm glad they didn't do that. But this is a structure that doesn't do justice to Louisville in a town that knows better. Museum Plaza is showing how to do it right. Now the arena doesn't need to be so fashion forward, so to speak, but should have been a lot better. Take a look at the far better Sprint Center in Kansas City for what could have been. I believe the arena design could have, and should have, been much, much better.
Previous