Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: OK, Time to Fess Up

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:07 pm

Naw, I agree completely that the TV weather guys blow snow out of all proportion. They're paid to do that. I got the impression that you were labeling the entire community as snow-fearing wimps, though.

Heh!

Steve P wrote: :?: I suppose I'm not following...or perhaps something I said was taken out of context. I'm simply pointing out that the the choice of words these folks use is somewhat Chicken-Little-ish. I mean "slammed" ? By 3 to 4 inches of snow ? We'd have to be talking, I dunno, 12 or 13 inches before I would find myself using that particular word. It's all relative though (and in cases like this ratings driven). If these people can take a relatively minor weather event, of any kind, and crate even the weakest possibility (or doubt) in someone's mind that maybe something really significant is about to happen, then "poof" there's that little rating bump they were looking for. It's not just L'ville or just snow...it happens all over. In Minnesota if they get a prolonged "heat wave" of (gasp) temps in the mid to upper 80's, all of a sudden the weather folks are breathlessly reminding people to "check on the elderly". In parts of the southwest, if their is a half an inch of rain in the forecast, they start using words like "deluge". So it's all relative. Everyone enjoy the day...and the white stuff.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Naw, I agree completely that the TV weather guys blow snow out of all proportion. They're paid to do that. I got the impression that you were labeling the entire community as snow-fearing wimps, though.

Define "entire"... :lol:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:21 pm

Steve P wrote:Define "entire"... :lol:

Why you little ... :oops: :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen:
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:33 pm

Just read where the city plans to spend 450K to preserve the "facades" of those dumpy buildings down on Main St. Wonder how many used snow plows the city could have bought with THAT money ?
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
Previous