Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

New CJ prices

User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

New CJ prices

by carla griffin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:48 am

Has anyone else noticed that the price of a CJ in a store is still 50 cents but is 75 cents in a street box? Are they trying to eliminate their street boxes or is this CJ's chincy way of giving thier street box venders a raise by letting the consumer foot the cost?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: New CJ prices

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:28 am

carla griffin wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the price of a CJ in a store is still 50 cents but is 75 cents in a street box? Are they trying to eliminate their street boxes or is this CJ's chincy way of giving thier street box venders a raise by letting the consumer foot the cost?

What! You mean people still buy the CJ? Why!? ;)
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:02 am

[quote="Robin Garr
What! You mean people still buy the CJ? Why!? ;)[/quote]

I buy mine on the bus every morning so I can read the comics on my way to work. Still .50 on TARC.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:19 am

David R. Pierce wrote:I buy mine on the bus every morning so I can read the comics on my way to work. Still .50 on TARC.

That's still 50 cents going into the evil Gannett's coffers. Next time steal one. :twisted:
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:27 am

I buy one a few times a week for the crossword puzzles.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:54 am

Robin Garr wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote:I buy mine on the bus every morning so I can read the comics on my way to work. Still .50 on TARC.

That's still 50 cents going into the evil Gannett's coffers. Next time steal one. :twisted:

The bus drivers buy them to sell on their bus so I'd be stealing from my chauffeur.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:11 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:The bus drivers buy them to sell on their bus so I'd be stealing from my chauffeur.

Think outside the box, man! The newspaper box, I mean. Get the driver to pull up next to a CJ box in such a way that he blocks any view from the street. Pop the cover with a tire iron and take the whole stack. That way everybody on the bus gets one.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:34 pm

Well, um, not to throw a tire iron into the works, but still, even commercial newspapers like this support staff who need to be paid. Having grown up at a newspaper, I've never understood how anybody makes a living at it, advertising not withstanding. But that's true of so many things. I think we've gotten so used to being able to buy nearly everything so cheaply these days we forget how little is demanded of us when it comes to spending on little luxuries, and even big ones.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:11 pm

Yeah I know, it's Gannet and all that but it's still the only daily paper we've got. USA today is like a giant comic book. Their articles have about as much depth as a shadow. I get a NYT when I'm someplace that has them. Use the internet for some news and of course read the LEO weekly. Just trying to get a perspective from several angles. I wish we had a better daily. I WISH we had the Binghams CJ back!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:03 am

Robin Garr wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote:The bus drivers buy them to sell on their bus so I'd be stealing from my chauffeur.

Think outside the box, man! The newspaper box, I mean. Get the driver to pull up next to a CJ box in such a way that he blocks any view from the street. Pop the cover with a tire iron and take the whole stack. That way everybody on the bus gets one.

Nah can't do that. That's the drivers gig he hits the box, sells papers all day. 8)
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

CJ Subscription

by TanyaD » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:46 am

I only get it on the weekends (Saturday for the Scene & Dining Guide and Sunday for the crossword, comics, and coupons). The money I save in the Sunday coupon section more than pays for my subscription. But I rarely actually read any section of the paper other than what's listed above.