Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

hydroponic lettuce

User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

hydroponic lettuce

by John Hagan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:06 pm

I thought I would share a few pics of our new venture here at the greenhouse. We have been playing around for a few months trying to put together a workable hydroponic lettuce system. We looked at and experimented with several different methods and setups until we finally choose this system and design. This method of growing is referred to as NFT. NFT stands for nutrient film technique, in that a small film of water/nutrient solution is continually flowing over the plant roots. We worked with a lab out in California to come up with a combination of minerals and salts that comprise the nutrient solution that also works with our water type.. While it is not certified organic, there is nothing really unnatural about it. Using a recirculating water system requires a lot more attention to ph/ec/tds factors,but we feel the extra effort pays off in high quality plants.
There are many advantages to this style of growing. We can produce a surprisingly large amount of plants in a very small area using quick rotation patterns. This small setup should be cranking out 72 heads a week 52 weeks a year. We can also produce year round. The plants can tolerate a wider range of air temps as long their roots are kept at a ideal growing temp(cool summer/warmer winter). We will have lettuce all winter and summer(hopefully). The other great thing about this system is the absence of bug and disease problems. By eliminating so many problematic factors, the plants dont need any artificial spraying or treatments.The fact that no soil is ever introduced results in a much cleaner product for the consumer. Another great advantage for us is the realization of a little cash flow at a time when there is otherwise not much else. While this setup is small we are already starting the next expansion of this. Our goal is to have the greenhouse its in now(30'x100') be completely converted to hydroponic lettuce and specialty green production.
So I thought I would share with you guys a few pics of our new setup. Hopefully in a short while I can report back with pics of a much expanded operation.
IMG_5037.JPG
IMG_5037.JPG (154.11 KiB) Viewed 4785 times

IMG_5038.JPG
IMG_5038.JPG (146.88 KiB) Viewed 4785 times

IMG_4832.JPG
IMG_4832.JPG (104.56 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: hydroponic lettuce

by Gayle DeM » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Looking good!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:34 am

Wow, John, very impressive! Please keep us updated on when/where we can buy some of these lettuces. ( I'm already jonesing for good greens and I bet these are wonderful!).

All the best-
Deb
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:10 am

Hey Deb, it looks like were going to be bringing our lettuce to the Bardstown rd winter market. That market gets going Saturday Jan 8th. Please note the hours are different than the regular hours. The winter hours are 10 to noon. We are still working on price right now, but our thinking is between two and three dollars a head. Does that seem reasonable?
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:42 am

John Hagan wrote:Hey Deb, it looks like were going to be bringing our lettuce to the Bardstown rd winter market. That market gets going Saturday Jan 8th. Please note the hours are different than the regular hours. The winter hours are 10 to noon. We are still working on price right now, but our thinking is between two and three dollars a head. Does that seem reasonable?

Couple of questions

Where is the Bardstown Rd market?

What varieties of are you growing?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:27 pm

"Where is the Bardstown Rd market?"

Bardstown Rd at Deer Park. Fire station right across street and about 1/2 block to Asiatique.

John ...... I have picked up some lettuce at the Bardstown Rd market for $3.00 a head. Probably similar to what you are growing.

I guess you will have Annie and your mother out in the cold selling while you are watching football in a warm house.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:40 am

Justin,

John was referring to the Bardstown Road Farmers market ( John and I had discussed this before, so he knew I'd know what he meant). Steve's directions are good.

Deb

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:45 am

John Hagan wrote:Hey Deb, it looks like were going to be bringing our lettuce to the Bardstown rd winter market. That market gets going Saturday Jan 8th. Please note the hours are different than the regular hours. The winter hours are 10 to noon. We are still working on price right now, but our thinking is between two and three dollars a head. Does that seem reasonable?

John,

How big are the heads? Pricing in my mind partially depends on that. Thanks for the info on the market- I will definitely make it over there after it opens.

Deb