Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Pet Insurance

User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

Pet Insurance

by Alan H » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:52 pm

Been hearing some horror stories about HUGE vet bills when it comes to surgeries and other misfortunate occurrences when it comes to the family dog.

Any suggestions on certain companies to look at or maybe reviews ?

When I search on the internet there seems to be a lot of options out there.
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

Re: Pet Insurance

by Madeline M » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:09 pm

You may want to see what plan your regular vet recommends, as they are the ones that need to accept the plan! I've heard good things about VPI but I haven't used them myself. Just read the fine print...some of them have huge deductibles, pay a minut amount or only reimburse you 60 days later.

And yes some of those emergency surgeries are pricey! Even some of the non-emergency ones can be pretty scary. My husband spent $5k on one of his dogs that had some kidney problems and my friend's dog's cancer treatments ran in the same range.
no avatar
User

Art T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: Pet Insurance

by Art T » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:35 pm

I've heard that most of them are like the previous poster said. High deductibles, slow payment, etc. Better off putting that money in a savings account for the pet.