Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

FRENCH TOAST ALERT!!

no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

FRENCH TOAST ALERT!!

by Bill P » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:45 pm

Winter storm on the way...go out get milk, eggs and bread and we'll make french toast.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Re: FRENCH TOAST ALERT!!

by Michelle R. » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:37 pm

I say let it snow...as long as I can keep my heat and electricity.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:13 pm

The only thing I'm going to run out and grab is my lawn chair and a six pack. Then find myself a busy street corner...This is gonna be a "really good shew". :D
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Steve P wrote:The only thing I'm going to run out and grab is my lawn chair and a six pack. Then find myself a busy street corner...This is gonna be a "really good shew". :D

The very best shoe I've witnessed was many years ago. One inch of snow with drifts of 3 inches. Literally multiple accidents on every corner, and I mean every corner and also the middle of every block of downtown. We'd see a car coming down the street and snicker "hey, this is gonna be a good one". The sound of sheet metal crumpling always confirmed our suspicions.
Man, those people in San Antonio, TX really can't drive in snow. Comparatively speaking, Louisvillans are winter driving geniuses.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:27 pm

I'm ready for the big storm. No, I didn't go out and get French toast fixings, but I did make sure that all my bird feeders were filled to the brim!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:31 pm

We were without power AND heat for 8 days during the ice storm. My parents invited us to come stay, but we were told we'd have to leave our 3 Goldens at home. We politely declined their offer. I'd like to at least be able to stay warm this time around.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Michelle R. wrote:We were without power AND heat for 8 days during the ice storm. My parents invited us to come stay, but we were told we'd have to leave our 3 Goldens at home. We politely declined their offer. I'd like to at least be able to stay warm this time around.

:cry: ....Sad...but <sign> I guess I would have told my kids the same thing. :? Hope you don't have to go through that dilemma again.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:12 pm

Bill P wrote:Man, those people in San Antonio, TX really can't drive in snow. Comparatively speaking, Louisvillans are winter driving geniuses.

Hi, my name is Becky, and i cannot drive in the snow. :? :oops: :wink:

I was born in Chicago and lived there for a few years, but i grew up in the Rio Grande Valley, four hours south of San Antonio.

Winters for us are........hmmm.......well i will put it this way..... many a Christmas were spent in shorts.

It did snow in the valley once..... December 24, 2004. The last time it had snowed there was in 1895, 109 years before.

I remember it was super, super cold, so unnatural for us valleyites..... we were at my sister's house having tamales (of course) and watching movies.....they said it might snow, so we waited.... at about 2 a.m. or so, it started to snow. I remember the whole neighborhood was awake.

They were people playing outside in the snow.......moms, dads, kids, whole families, for most this was a once in a lifetime thing. We were out there too, my mom a Chicago native, did not go outside :D You could hear laughter all around.......remember, it was the middle of the night.... To be very honest, it is one of the most beautiful things i have ever witnessed. Not the snow, the laughter, the joy.... it was like our own little valley Christmas miracle.... damn, im crying so bad, i miss my home.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Michelle R. wrote:We were without power AND heat for 8 days during the ice storm. My parents invited us to come stay, but we were told we'd have to leave our 3 Goldens at home. We politely declined their offer. I'd like to at least be able to stay warm this time around.

What did you do to keep warm, Michelle? Although they say this one isn't going to be anything like the ice storm, we're sweating this one out for similar reasons: We won't want to leave the cats. Plus, it won't be that easy to drive out. We're wondering how bad it would be in our house with nothing but fireplace gas logs and pots of boiling water on the stove to keep us warm. (Gas furnace, but it won't work without electricity to run the fan and thermostat; gas oven won't work if the electronic controls are off, but we can light the top burners with matches.)

Hmm, this reminds me, I need to post a separate issue for discussion ...
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:57 pm

We have a gas stove, so we boiled a ton of water and got a kerosene heater. It was uncomfortable and boring, but we lived.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:59 pm

For some of us the ice can be a real big issue. Last time we had a bad ice storm we were out of power for two weeks. We have a couple of generators that keep power flowing to the greenhouses,but its still pretty unnerving knowing that the bulk of your annual income is riding on that generator not breaking down. Another problem we have with ice is the weight on the greenhouse structures, it brings them down quick.You would be amazed how much even a light icing can weigh. Our houses are covered in two layers of thick poly and we have go inside the greenhouses and push up on the plastic with long brooms to break off the ice, most often in the middle of the night. Needless to say were always a bit nervous when the forecast includes ice. Otherwise Im with Steve P on this one,being a yankee its always amusing to watch folks try to navigate the slick roads here.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:13 pm

If we get 4 inches of snow does anyone want to bet I don't see that candy assed mailman of ours for a week. What a Sally.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Steve P wrote:If we get 4 inches of snow does anyone want to bet I don't see that candy assed mailman of ours for a week. What a Sally.

You can bet the big brown UPS trucks will be rolling.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Art T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm

by Art T » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:30 pm

If we lose power, my generator will be powering the tv's, the refrigerator/freezers', the router and my laptop.

Our gas fireplaces keep the house warm enough.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Art T wrote:If we lose power, my generator will be powering the tv's, the refrigerator/freezers', the router and my laptop.

Our gas fireplaces keep the house warm enough.

How can I be the man...when YOU the ma....errrrrr wait a minute. You said "the" router as opposed to "a" router. Hell, I was gettin' ready to invite you out to Garage Logic to kick some dirt (snow) and talk power tools. Never mind. :roll: :? :wink:
Next