Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Burglary in Clifton

no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Burglary in Clifton

by Heather L » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:50 pm

Just a quick heads up. I got a scary phone call from my husband at work late yesterday afternoon - "Heather - you need to come home. We've been broken into and one of the cats is gone!"

Good news is - both cats are physically fine. Traumatized and hiding - but fine. We live on a very quiet dead end street in Clifton. Street was pretty darn empty yesterday because everyone was working. They kicked through our wood side door and went right out our front door in broad daylight, with our stuff in their hands - leaving the door wide open. A neighbor was home on one side but didn't hear anything.

Stuff is just stuff - I know. But the really hard part is all of the stuff they took that is worth NOTHING to anyone else, but meant the world to me. :(

Now we are scared to leave our home with nobody in it.
Anyway - tis the season for thieving I guess - so please make sure your doors and windows are all locked - even during the day. And if you have lockable storm doors, particularly on side doors, back doors that you might not use very much - make sure those are locked as well.

Just out of curiousity I used the metro crime mapper thing available on the city's website. And you can either put in a specific address or an intersection. If you zoom the map to crime level, seems like quite a few home burglaries in this area in the past 3 months,
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

Re: Burglary in Clifton

by Brian Curl » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:22 pm

An alarm system may have deterred them. Probably in most cases, just the alarm stickers will deter break in's, even without an active alarm system.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:27 pm

Not necessarily. My sister-in-law’s house was broken into in the middle of the day, with the alarm set, and a bulldog home.

Heather, I'm sorry for your losses. I would e heartbroken to lose my irreplaceable family heirlooms.
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

by Paula B » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Heather, I am so , so sorry for you & your husband. Glad the kitties are ok. You might be surprised what people try to get money for at the pawn shops-- might be worth giving them an idea of your items to be on the lookout. Somethings may turn up, hopefully.
If I can help, please let me know.
hugs, pb
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Brian Curl wrote: Probably in most cases, just the alarm stickers will deter break in's, even without an active alarm system.

I guarantee you are absolutely correct...although you'll never get an alarm company to admit that.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:56 pm

My favorite sticker is:
I guarantee you there is nothing in here worth your life
User

Matt Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:01 pm

by Matt Davis » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:04 pm

I taught my small dogs how to shoot a gun... they are ferocious now.
Matt Davis
Owner/Operator
Lil Cheezers Gourmet Grilled Cheese
938 Baxter Ave
Louisville, Ky 40204
http://www.lilcheezers.com
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks everyone
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:56 pm

I get really goofy about stuff like this. We currently do not live on the best block in our neighborhood and I have a great paranoia about things like this, oddly enough, more so for my kitties than any of my meager possessions. I really don't have much to steal, so breaking in would be a waste of energy, but I fear that they may harm the kitties or put a terror in them. The rash part of me hopes that if someone ever did break it, they would dare do it whilst I was home, so I could take direct action against it. I'm stupidly brave at times, particularly when angered.

Glad your kitties are ok, sorry for your experience. We've had several things stolen from our yard (mostly bicycles :x ), and the sense of violation is permeating. Hang in there, and consider a security system if you can afford it.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:15 pm

RonnieD wrote: the best block in our neighborhood

In urban management theory, the best block and the worst block in a neighborhood tend to be the most criminalized, because the best block is perceived as having the booty, and the worst is where the worst people live and prey on their closest neighbors. However, I did learn this in grad school, so it's highly suspect. 8)
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:01 pm

fair enough, Robin, perhaps the implication was that "best" in my case alluded to "safest" :wink:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:17 pm

RonnieD wrote:fair enough, Robin, perhaps the implication was that "best" in my case alluded to "safest" :wink:

The bottom line is that the economy isn't helping when it comes to crime, and seeing people in Clifton and Crescent Hill being concerned about home break-ins isn't reassuring ... to a guy who lives in Crescent Hill. ;)
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:00 pm

nor to a guy who is about to buy a house in same...

Agreed, Robin!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY