Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Local Food Pantries

User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

Local Food Pantries

by Leann C » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:35 pm

I have some items I'd like to donate to a local food pantry. Can anyone give me some ideas. I can drive anywhere in town, but closer to the Highlands/downtown area would be better. Thanks!

On a somewhat related note, I'd like some ideas on volunteering opportunities for the Christmas season. I'm currently recovering from surgery, so I can't commit to a set schedule since I still have bad days (and can't really lift anything heavy yet). But would love to do something useful on good days. Any thoughts?? Since I'm a regular on the food forum, something to do with cooking or delivering meals would be great, but I'm open to any ideas.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Local Food Pantries

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Leann C wrote:I have some items I'd like to donate to a local food pantry. Can anyone give me some ideas. I can drive anywhere in town, but closer to the Highlands/downtown area would be better. Thanks!

St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, 330 N. Hubbards Lane (at Massie) has a large food pantry every third Saturday at 11 a.m. It's mostly Dare to Care food being distributed, grocery-style, but Dare to Care isn't always really great about selection, so we're always happy to have people bring in donations ... and stay to volunteer. :)

Donations of canned goods, fresh produce and the like can be brought by on the Food Pantry morning around 9:30-10, or we can arrange to receive non-perishable donations during business hours the week preceding. Home-prepared dishes are problematic because of Dare to Care regs, sadly; issues of food for public distribution being prepared outside the health inspection system.

Disclaimer: Mary and I are members of this church and volunteer our help in the Food Pantry - it's fun, edumificational and inspiring. :)