Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Red River Gorge

no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Highlands

Red River Gorge

by Madi D » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:07 pm

Hey all...
My friends and i are going camping this weekend at the Gorge... We want to do more of a backwoods experience, and avoid a standard (and crowded) campsite.
Im looking for any suggestions about trails or areas to shoot for- preferably in close proximity to a river or creek, considering its going to be 100+ degrees on saturday!
None of us are very knowledgeable about the area, so really any input you might have would be appreciated :)
Thanks all!
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:17 pm

Be sure to let us know all the good places to go in RRG. I'm looking forward to going camping/hiking in the fall when the foliage is gorgeous, and the weather is chilly!
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:11 pm

It's hard to give directions to good camping sites in the Gorge. You just kind of have to remember your way to them. I have found beautiful sites off of every trail I've hiked there. Some advice I can offer though is that the further off the trail you hike for your site, the more privacy you will have. There seems to be less people on the lower trails and this is also where you'll find some water. Nonetheless, it's difficult to find a spot near water on the weekend and not have other people come to the same spot. My advice is to find a watering hole you like and then hike away from it for your campground. That way you can enjoy it when you like, but don't have to put up with others being there when you're trying to relax. Most importantly - be sure to arrive with plenty of daylight to find your camping spot. Have fun!!
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:17 am

Madi, how was the Gorge? Did you find a beautiful site?