Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Type 1 Diabetes

no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Type 1 Diabetes

by Matthew D » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:59 am

Was recently diagnosed as an insulin-dependent diabetic. Seeing as this, at least for the time being*, changes some of my dining habits, I thought it would be worth inquiring to see if there are other insulin users on this forum.

I'm already moving toward a pump, which I hear will provide me greater lifestyle flexibility. So, what type of dining/eating changes have others made after a similar diagnosis?

FWIW, I think daily of Sweet Surrender cake. I feel like I am in food prison and can't get to that food I really want. I'm sure I will be able to enjoy a slice (if only 1/4 a slice) from there in the future, but, right now, I'm not sure there's enough insulin units in my fridge to cover a whole slice! My mom decided to torture me today by showing me all the XMAS cookies she has baked. I've always been a Scrooge, except when it comes to pigging out on cookies. Guess I'll just be a full-blown Scrooge now!

*Not to make it sound like I am not getting out and dining. Made it to both Vietnam Kitchen and Havana Rumba last week. Pretty sure I overdid the carbs a bit at VK!

Now beer is another topic. Having just one (that's my plan for now) bottle is a new lifestyle. Can't wait to see a pint from one of the local breweries, but that's a goal for down the road. I know there's plenty of arguments for drinking in moderation with Type 1. I'm just playing it on the safe side while the blood sugar levels widely fluctuate.

I've never been one for "the safe side" so this should be an interesting trip...]

Any other insulin-dependent diabetics out there? Experiences and/or tips?
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Type 1 Diabetes

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:10 am

Matthew, I can't help with personal testimony, but I wanted to jump in and wish you well, and hope others on the forum will be able to offer you the voice of experience.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:47 am

Matthew, I too wish you well. My former husband is a diabetic (currently on a pump). There is a really great cookbook out there (although it's a bit old by now I guess) titled Cooking for the Diabetic. The recipes in it are simple and very good.
Other than that all I could offer are horror stories about what happens when you don't check your blood levels regularly and don't follow doctor's orders. Don't think you're the exception to any of the rules, don't smoke, don't drink. I know those parameters are very limiting and no fun but if you stick to them you can still have a great life with all the rewards that others enjoy. I wish you nothing but the best.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:39 pm

I had gestational diabetes, so thankfully I didn't have to do the diabetic diet for more than 3 months. If you get the chance to go to a diabetes education center..DO IT. It was highly informative and they really helped me figure out what was going to be the best/easiest foods for me to eat. As you know, protein, lean meats and veggies are going to be your good friends. I'm an ice cream freak, so I was happy to find out that the carbsmart ice cream (I was to say it was Breyers or one of those) was actually pretty tasty. But you never think about the things that have so many carbs like yogurt and pasta. I was really well under control. I made sure I ate lots of little meals during the day. I usually had little bags of almonds to eat.
One time I went to PF changs for dinner and got a beef dish and only ate a small portion of the rice. But it threw my BS into a high because of something that was in the sauce..you never think of those things.
Good luck to you!! I know 2 people with pumps and they said it has made their lives so much easier!
My other word of advice is PLEASE get a yearly eye exam. I've worked in ophthalmology for 13 yrs and it saddens me to see people go blind from diabetes. It's the #1 cause of blindness in the US and there are easy treatments that can be done to save people's sight!!
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:58 pm

I was also gestationally diabetic, I ended up on insulin and am considered "borderline" now. I also have dealt with diabetic patients for many years and have read a lot about it. The pump can be a great way to control your blood glucose, but you need to learn the "rules of the road". A trip to a diabetic educator is in order and a lot of self education. There are many sugar-free options out there that are good. READ LABELS and don't be afraid to ask what something is made of. This is your health and life you are protecting.

Maybe Sweet Surrender would consider making a sugar free option. I have recipes that are great and my family cannot tell the difference.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks Suzi, Megan, Carla, and Robin for the well wishes and advice. I'm just thankful I have more-than-decent health insurance and connections with a great network of doctors. One day soon, hopefully, all people will have the same privileges.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 pm

Matthew D wrote:I'm just thankful I have more-than-decent health insurance and connections with a great network of doctors. One day soon, hopefully, all people will have the same privileges.

Amen.