Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Need Computer Help

User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Need Computer Help

by JustinHammond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm in need of a new computer guy, mine has retired. I just looking for someone that "does it as an hobby" is cheap. My laptop just went out and I need someone to check it out and the big guys charge more then it is worth. I live in Lyndon and would like to stay as close to home as possible.

Any suggestions?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Need Computer Help

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:36 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Any suggestions?

You're not a Mac guy, are you? Mary has a good tech "on staff," but he does Mac, Mac and only Mac.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:Any suggestions?

You're not a Mac guy, are you? Mary has a good tech "on staff," but he does Mac, Mac and only Mac.

Afraid not.

I'm thinking it is a hardware vs software issue. PC powers up like normal, cd will run/spin, fan is running, but the screen is totally black.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:18 pm

annemarie m wrote:if your screen is totally black it may very well be the backlight has gone bad. they only have so many hours of life before they burn out. this is not a cheap repair. on my one of my macs, the cost was $600.00 + thankfully apple was kind enough to chip in on the repair bill.

Kind of my fear. Why spend $600 to fix an 5 year old PC when I can buy a new/better one for much less.

User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:58 pm

annemarie m wrote:my mac was only 3 days out of warranty and apple paid for everything but $125.00. so yes it was worth the repair of $125.00 out of my pocket. but not $600.00 +.
but i must say. i had it repaired and then sold the laptop for $800.00 and bought myself a new mac with my out of pocket of only $200.00 on a new macbook pro after negotiated discounts.

$125 is about the max I'd pay to fix mine.

User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:03 am

If it's the backlight, whoever fixes it properly is worth what they charge its complicated

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2 ... ccfl-lamp/
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:01 am

Just thinking out loud here . . . Can you rig the laptop up to a regular monitor? If the display works on a monitor, would that tell you that the system works but the display's shot?

Might give you the opportunity to burn important files onto a CD to make it easier to transfer to a new system.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Art T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm

by Art T » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:04 am

It seems to me that if the backlight was out you would see something on the screen. Try shining a flashlight on the screen when you turn it on.

You can test if it is the screen by hooking up another monitor like the previous poster said.

Laptop deals for Christmas should get near $300. Laptops can be had all day for $400. Netbooks go for around 225.

I use old Pc's all the time, i dint think i have a desktop that is younger than 4 years, but a 5 year old laptop is pushing it. good luck.
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:01 am

Have you tried turning it off then turning it on again?
(Old PC tech joke, sorry)

It's sad that we can add laptops to the list of items that are cheaper to replace than fix, but that seems to be the case these days, especially when you can get a replacement for $300 or so. I've taken a few apart myself, and generally the problems are either the fragile ribbon cables (they tend to get brittle and crack) or board-level specialty parts that are difficult to get your hands on and more difficult to replace.

And to echo what Art T said above, a 5 year old laptop is pushing it.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:24 am

Lois Mauk wrote:Just thinking out loud here . . . Can you rig the laptop up to a regular monitor? If the display works on a monitor, would that tell you that the system works but the display's shot?

Might give you the opportunity to burn important files onto a CD to make it easier to transfer to a new system.

I tried that, but had no luck. I've read that some laptops have a setting that has to be changed in order to send the display to an external moniter. Hard to do when I can't see anything. :lol:

I'm going to try to hook it to another computer with transfer cable and see if I can save anything.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

by Pete O » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:55 am

JustinHammond wrote:
Lois Mauk wrote:Just thinking out loud here . . . Can you rig the laptop up to a regular monitor? If the display works on a monitor, would that tell you that the system works but the display's shot?

I tried that, but had no luck. I've read that some laptops have a setting that has to be changed in order to send the display to an external moniter. Hard to do when I can't see anything. :lol:

I'm going to try to hook it to another computer with transfer cable and see if I can save anything.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Justin, Fn+F7 is usually the key stroke to switch displays from your laptop to an external monitor.

Hope this helps.
-Pete
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Let me know if you need help getting your files off of the hard disk, Justin. I have an adapter and cables that will let you connect the drive to another PC via USB.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."