Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Pre-coffee rant - Twittering

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Pre-coffee rant - Twittering

by Carla G » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:56 am

Maybe I'm grumpy because the caffeine hasn't been absorbed into my brain cells but I am PO'd. I went to the CJ web site to see what's going on in my fair city (and about) and see where there is a section devoted to "tweets". You can sign up to receive tweets from the CJ reporters on your cell phone or laptop. (Just so you can have the up to the second news RIGHT NOW. THIS INSTANT with no in depth research. Let's call it "KNEE JERK NEWS") So I'm thinking, "Hmmmm. This sounds interesting. Let's see what kind of tweets I would have gotten had I signed up for the service." So I check out the tweets. It was pretty much line after line of drivel mixed in with some helpful info about traffic but primarily nothing. To make matters worse the general public is invited to add their tweets to the reporters tweets. After reading some of the comments from the public that typically run after full blown articles the last thing I want to read are their twitterings.
Do people really want this sort of nonsense? Anyone can post, there is no way to validate anything. It just seems like an quick/easy way to spread rumors and slander. I think it also gives the false impression to the public that they are well informed when in fact what they've heard may just be rumor after rumor. Why can't they spend more time researching some real news?

I wonder if any of the reporters tweeted the story out of the UK that says more than 70% of tweets get ignored?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Pre-coffee rant - Twittering

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Two issues stand separately here: Twittering in general, which can be done competently but rarely is; and the Gannett-published Courier-Journal, which only recently discovered the Web and still can't figure out how to produce a competent basic Website.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

Re: Pre-coffee rant - Twittering

by Madeline M » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:09 am

I'm still trying to figure out what purpose Twitter and the like have. There are only a few things that are important enough to warrant an update every 15 minutes and most of those things should involve a phone call. Worthy news can't be summed up in 140 characters...even if it does come from a joke of a newspaper like the CJ.