Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

JCPS Busing

User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: JCPS Busing

by Doug W » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:33 pm

Interesting thread. I grew up in Chicago, went to parochial elementary and middle school and public high school. I married a local Louisville girl so we naturally ended up here. Ive got a kid in public elementary school, public middle school and public High School. All three are doing well and happy.

I have never understood the school and busing here. That said, here's my few cents:

- The busing is a huge waste of time and money that is not accomplishing much at all of its purpose.
- Parental Involvement, as stated by others, has a huge impact on student and subsequently school performance.
- The farther the school, the lower the involvement (as said earlier) but this applies to the students as well. If they are to far to participate in before or after school activities they usually won't.
- Even after busing, all three JCPS schools I have had children in have at least two tiers - my kids have been able to test and score well enough to be in the Advanced Program. Therefore, they get challenged more and also seem be get more academic stimulation. Most, certainly not all, of their peers in the Advanced Program are kids who live close by to school.
- These same kids who are doing well academically also seem to be involved in more extra-curricular activities.

I agree with the other who have pointed out that a good chunk of the $54m in busing funds could be put to a lot better use.

Regards,

Doug
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:24 pm

Here's an anecdote for ya....

Take a drive to the low performing schools and then go by the higher performing schools. Look at how the buildings are maintained. Look at the condition of the landscaping. Look at the sports facilities.

I promise you that in all cases, the facilities of the better performing schools are better in all respects. Now, since funding for the schools should be normalized across the district, what is the explanation for these discrepancies?

Forced segregation was and is evil. It was imposed on peoples choices for schools, and more critically for housing and neighborhoods. Busing might've been a good bandaid at the time to correct that injustice, but it looks like a waste of precious resources now.

If you look, the lowest performing schools are in the most racially diverse areas of the city now, so busing folks to meet some arbitrary racial quotas is absurd. The JCPS lost the lawsuit, so they can't do that anymore. SO, what do they do instead of trying to improve ALL the schools on a neighborhood basis? They try to devise a plan using "economic" criteria as a racial proxy so they can keep busing folks around the way they've been doing for 30 years! All in the service of some kind of arbitrary "diversity" goals! They should be held in contempt of court!

I t makes me cry to see the deteriorated physical state of the schools in the areas where I grew up and now live again. These used to be good schools. I'm willing to support the School Board in a return to neighborhood schools, and reinvesting the money saved from busing into more useful pursuits. Like making schools into inviting places to learn, instead of dilapidated warehouses.

As it is, the how operation seems like it bait and switch to help bureaucrats look good before moving on to their next gig.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:51 am

It's ALL about quotas, and it's disgusting. For example, a friends of mine has two daughters. They are both of mixed ethnic background. They have the same father. However, to fulfill busing quotas, one was (allegedly) classified as "white", and the other, "black." One is bussed all the way to the west end, the other, to the south end. How is she, as a single parent, expected to be involved in activities at both schools? It just makes NO sense. Why not leave the decision up to the parents, as to where they would like their children to attend school? I guarantee NO parent would chose waking their kid up at 5 am to put them on a bus for two hours a day. Put the 54 mil to good use. Use it on improving education, don't waste it on an outdated busing system.
Last edited by Michelle R. on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Michelle R. wrote:However, to fulfill busing quotas, one was classified as "white", and the other, "black." One is bussed all the way to the west end, the other, to the south end.

How long ago was this, Michelle? It's been a couple of years since the Supreme Court specifically told the Louisville system not to do that.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Then it must be news to the JCPS system. It happened at the beginning of this school year!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Michelle R. wrote:Then it must be news to the JCPS system. It happened at the beginning of this school year!

I never did get what Berman was trying to do over there, but correct me if I'm wrong, did not the Supremes specifically tell JCPS that it could not use race as a factor in student assignments? Are you sure that the weird racial classification of your friend's two children had to do with their busing assignments? I'm not challenging you, Michelle, I'm just confused, since the national court decision affecting Louisville (and Seattle) specifically was pretty big local news here.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Yes, Robin. She told me specifically that their races were allegedly determined in order to fulfill busing quotas. Just because something isn't supposed to be done, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I was pretty disgusted, to say the least. As a first time expectant parent, it certainly makes me re-think the priorities of our public schools. I'd rather they focused on education, rather than focusing on faulty, politically correct bs. Make all the schools good, and encourage parental involvement. This busing and school situation, in general, has really gotten out of hand.

http://www.examiner.com/city-hall-in-lo ... urt-ruling
Previous