Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Computer Geek Question - How to get rid of "scroll over" ads

by Steve P » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:52 am

OK. So I've got a pop up blocker (just like every other person in the world does) but in the past couple of months I've noticed that about every website I visit uses these damn (I call them) scroll over ads. If you roll your mouse pointer over them the ad pops up. Some of them you don't even need to scroll over, they just "expand" right in the middle of what you are trying to read. Oh and another thing...these damn video commercials that start playing every time you visit a website (the sports related web sites seem to have this one down cold). So my question is (A) is there some kind of "setting" in my software I can adjust to block this crap ? or (B) is there any freeware out there that will get rid of it ? This stuff is really starting to piss me off. :evil:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Computer Geek Question - How to get rid of "scroll over" ads

by Carla G » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:05 pm

Buy a Mac.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:54 pm

Carla G wrote:Buy a Mac.

When monkey's fly out of my butt. :shock:
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:31 am

Sorry, Steve. but I'm with Carla on this one.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:24 am

I've been using adblock and I never see ads anymore
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:26 am

Steve P wrote:

Hey! I thought you said you were in some sort of 12 step program?! :wink:
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:07 am

Try Adblock and Noscript. You also want to turn off Flash. Flash is a major security hole and takes up a huge amount of system resources.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:35 pm

Carla G wrote:
Steve P wrote:

Hey! I thought you said you were in some sort of 12 step program?! :wink:

Carla,

I bought my "basic" 12 step program from the 700 Club for three easy payments of $39.95 (includes 3 DVDs and a free hot line number assuring my prayers go straight to Jesus) . Transitioning to a MAC was step number 13 and would have required that I purchase the "deluxe" program for a significant "up charge".
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:36 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:Try Adblock and Noscript. You also want to turn off Flash. Flash is a major security hole and takes up a huge amount of system resources.

How does one go about turning off "Flash" ? Will Adblock run in conjunction with Norton Antivirus ?
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike Hardin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:20 pm

I think Noscript will disable Flash by default. If you NEED to run it on a page, you can right click on a web page and allow it for that page only. As far as Norton, get rid of it. Horrible junk. You want AVG Free antivirus.

And I'm going to chime in with everyone else and say next time you consider a computer purchase, take a look at a Mac. I've been running both PC and Mac for 20 years and have much more trouble-free computing experiences on the Mac side of things. They may cost a bit more for the initial purchase, but I've spent WAY more over the years keeping my PCs running. I own a printing business and my main Mac computer is over 7 years old. I've had to buy 4 PCs in that time.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:As far as Norton, get rid of it. Horrible junk. You want AVG Free antivirus.

Indeed! Couldn't agree more. It's worth noting that AVG will try a little too hard to sell you their Pro edition, but avoid the onslaught of spam: There's nothing in AVG Pro that I need, and when I tried it once just to be a good guy, I found I didn't like the extra stuff and ended up taking it off.

This link will take you straight to the FREE AVG download page, but even there you may have to keep Just Saying No to their special "TRY THE PRO EDITION NOW OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE" offers.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-free-antivirus
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:39 pm

Hey! I thought you said you were in some sort of 12 step program?! :wink:[/quote]

Carla,

I bought my "basic" 12 step program from the 700 Club for three easy payments of $39.95 (includes 3 DVDs and a free hot line number assuring my prayers go straight to Jesus) . Transitioning to a MAC was step number 13 and would have required that I purchase the "deluxe" program for a significant "up charge".[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike Hardin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mike Hardin wrote:As far as Norton, get rid of it. Horrible junk. You want AVG Free antivirus.

Indeed! Couldn't agree more. It's worth noting that AVG will try a little too hard to sell you their Pro edition

That's odd. I forgot about that but since I updated to the newest version it doesn't try to sell to me at all.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:18 am

Mike Hardin wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Indeed! Couldn't agree more. It's worth noting that AVG will try a little too hard to sell you their Pro edition

That's odd. I forgot about that but since I updated to the newest version it doesn't try to sell to me at all.

Ill join the chorus. We had huge problems with Norton. We went with AVG and had smooth sailing ever since.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:02 am

If you ditch Norton you will immediately get a speedup in your computers performance, Norton really slows it down.
AVG is great, I used it up until I started using Clamwin, which is what I use on my Windows computer. My main computer is running Ubuntu Linux which pretty much doesn't get viruses
Next