Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Bad CJ story (when word choice matters)

no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Bad CJ story (when word choice matters)

by Matthew D » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Read the following story and pay attention to the word "right." I'm having trouble figuring out when the writer means "right" as in "right or left" and when the writer means "right" as in correct.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20101112/NEWS01/311120069/+Safer++I-64+at+Watterson+victimized+by+rash+of+traffic+accidents

Whomever copy edited the story should give back an hour of their pay! A bad CJ story - shocking I know!

As for the topic of the story, it sure seems like the signage is being scapegoated when actually human behavior is to blame. Nothing that a squad of traffic cops could not solve. Ticket a few hundred drivers for dangerous driving over a given week, and people will get the message!
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Bad CJ story (when word choice matters)

by TP Lowe » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:30 am

As a regular through that area, I'm pretty sure the writer means "right" as in "not left," although for the driver it is both "right" and "correct."