Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Amy-Jill Levine, a Jewish scholar of Christian Literature

by Gayle DeM » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:05 am

Dr. Amy-Jill Levine is in town this weekend to present a four part series of lectures on Jewish-Christian Relations: Jesus the Misunderstood Jew, sponsored by the Louisville Interfatih Forum.

• Jesus and Judaism: Why the Connection Matters – October 29, 2010 at 7:30 PM
The Temple, 5101 US Highway 42, Louisville, KY 40241 This event is free and open to the public Sponsored by the Ginger and Martin Lewis Memorial Lecture Series
• How Jews and Christians Read Scripture Differently – October 30, 2010 at 10:00 AM Second Presbyterian Church, 3701 Old Brownsboro Road, Louisville, KY 40207
• Hearing the Parables of Jesus Through Jewish Ears – October 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM
St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church, 330 North Hubbards Lane, Louisville, KY 40207 A Lunch with Dr. Levine begins at Noon and is included in your registration fee Sponsored by Dimensions of Faith Lecture Series
• The Present and Future of Jewish-Christian Relations – October 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM Highland Baptist Church, 1101 Cherokee Road, Louisville, KY 40204 An informal discussion over coffee and dessert will follow this lecture.

As noted, the opening lecture is free. A $25 Fee covers all remaining events & meals.

Amy-Jill Levine is the E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Professor of New Testament Studies at Vanderbilt University. Dr. Levine holds a B.A. from Smith College, M.A. and Ph.D. from Duke University. Her most recent books include The Misunderstood Jew: The Church and the Scandal of the Jewish Jesus and The Historical Jesus in Context
. http://www.midkentuckypresbytery.org/PDFs/Levine_Poster.pdf
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

Re: Amy-Jill Levine, a Jewish scholar of Christian Literature

by Becky M » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:02 am

sigh..........

this sounds so very interesting to me. I cannot wait until my little ones are just a wee bit older. There are so many things that i would love to attend but just cant make it there.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: Amy-Jill Levine, a Jewish scholar of Christian Literature

by Lois Mauk » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks for posting this, Gayle. I'm planning on being there tonight.

Would really have enjoyed the whole series of lectures this weekend but we got HUGE plans for all day Saturday -- our big Greyhound gathering at the National Guard Armory. If I weren't in charge of about half of what's going on, I'd consider hearing Dr. Levine speak instead. :-)
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org