Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Trick or Treat times ?

by Steve P » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:29 pm

Anyone have any idea when trick or treat time is in Oldham Co. this year ?
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Trick or Treat times ?

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Steve P wrote:Anyone have any idea when trick or treat time is in Oldham Co. this year ?

Time? They regulate it?

I can tell you that in Crescent Hill the little ones start coming when it's twilight - maybe around 7 these days - and we usually turn off the porch light to discourage any stragglers around 9.

I've never heard of an official start time, though, and don't really think that idea would fly in these parts.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote:Anyone have any idea when trick or treat time is in Oldham Co. this year ?

Time? They regulate it?

I can tell you that in Crescent Hill the little ones start coming when it's twilight - maybe around 7 these days - and we usually turn off the porch light to discourage any stragglers around 9.

I've never heard of an official start time, though, and don't really think that idea would fly in these parts.

Real popular in other parts. All the small cities in the Dayton, OH would decide on times and even dates. Some would even move trick-or-treating to the closest weekend if Halloween fell during the week.

Guess there are all kinds of reasons to do so, but it seems most of the impetus was unsubstantiated claims regarding how big and bad the world has become. The numbers actually tell the story going in slightly the other direction.

Trick-or-Treating is down 80% (my educated guess) in my parents' neighborhood since my childhood. Seems all they get is stragglers, and it is a child-dense neighborhood. Lots of community and church events these days. The general public is just too darn scary, I guess.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Time? They regulate it?

Poor phrasing in my OP...I'm more looking for the date than an "official" time...I can figure that second part out when the doorbell rings. It's just that I was just looking at the calendar and realized that the 31st fell on a Sunday...and given the per capita number of Bibles around here thought maybe it might be a good idea to get some kind of confirmation.
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:05 pm

We don't get any kids here for tick (sic) or treat. Halloween falls to close to deer season and the little tykes are very busy with target practice,.loading their own cartridges, and cleaning the new rifle they got for their 7th birthday.
Bill
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:09 pm

Steve P wrote:Poor phrasing in my OP...I'm more looking for the date than an "official" time...I can figure that second part out when the doorbell rings. It's just that I was just looking at the calendar and realized that the 31st fell on a Sunday...and given the per capita number of Bibles around here thought maybe it might be a good idea to get some kind of confirmation.

Hmm, good question. Despite the fact that the Baptist Seminary is just over the hill (and the Presybyterian/Etc Seminary just over the hill beyond that, but those folks aren't such fundamentalists), it's been my experience over the years that the Trigger Treaters come around on the 31st no matter what day it falls on, even the Sabbath.

In Oldham County, you might ask ... call the county courthouse?
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:16 pm

This was the most update version that I could find on line:

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - As Halloween creeps closer and closer, many parents may want to verify times and dates for trick-or-treating in various areas. To help, we have compiled the following list:

Oldham County October 31
Louisville October 31
Jeffersonville, IN October 31 (6:00pm-8:00pm)
New Albany/Floyd Co. October 31 (5:00pm-8:00pm)
As more information becomes available, this list will be updated.

Copyright 2010 WAVE News. All rights reserved

http://www.wave3.com/story/13319840/trick-or-treat-dates-and-times-for-kentuckiana
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote: it's been my experience over the years that the Trigger Treaters come around on the 31st no matter what day it falls on, even the Sabbath.

In Oldham County, you might ask ... call the county courthouse?

Good idea...

After all the hard work I've done trying to live a clean life, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to burn in hell for handing out candy to little witches and goblins on the Sabbath. But hey, as long as everyone else is cool with it, I guess it's no big deal. :wink: 8)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Steve P wrote:I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to burn in hell for handing out candy to little witches and goblins on the Sabbath.

I'll be glad to offer you my dispensation, but I'm not sure if it will "take" in the Bible Belt ... :lol:
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12 am

Steve P wrote:Poor phrasing in my OP...I'm more looking for the date than an "official" time...I can figure that second part out when the doorbell rings. It's just that I was just looking at the calendar and realized that the 31st fell on a Sunday...and given the per capita number of Bibles around here thought maybe it might be a good idea to get some kind of confirmation.

Well out here in the sticks they moved it to Saturday to avoid trick or treating on the holy day. At least thats the way Shelbyville is handling it. Not sure about my county seat(Taylorsville) but I think they do it on Saturday as well.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:55 am

Many of the towns here in rural Indiana seem to be celebrating on Saturday also. Why not move it to Monday and have a 3 day weekend. :?
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:30 am

Gayle DeM wrote:This was the most update version that I could find on line:

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - As Halloween creeps closer and closer, many parents may want to verify times and dates for trick-or-treating in various areas. To help, we have compiled the following list:

Oldham County October 31
Louisville October 31
Jeffersonville, IN October 31 (6:00pm-8:00pm)
New Albany/Floyd Co. October 31 (5:00pm-8:00pm)
As more information becomes available, this list will be updated.

Copyright 2010 WAVE News. All rights reserved

thanks for that information Gayle. We were just discussing this yesterday. Personally, we don't go trick or treating anymore. The girls are too big for it and the boys are too little. Our Halloween thing has become going trick-or-treating at our good friend's house.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:37 am

Steve P wrote:Good idea...

After all the hard work I've done trying to live a clean life, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to burn in hell for handing out candy to little witches and goblins on the Sabbath. But hey, as long as everyone else is cool with it, I guess it's no big deal. :wink: 8)

candy?..... for all the fun names you have for them, curtain climbers is one of my favorites, i figured you would be handing out charcoal briquettes or something like that. :wink: :wink: :wink:
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:44 am

John Hagan wrote:

Well out here in the sticks they moved it to Saturday to avoid trick or treating on the holy day. At least thats the way Shelbyville is handling it. Not sure about my county seat(Taylorsville) but I think they do it on Saturday as well.

Well...I called the school board and THEY said it was on Sunday. Then I called the local elementary and THEY said it was on Saturday. Then I called the city offices and THEY said it was on Sunday. So who the heck knows. I guess we'll just be ready either night. :?
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:53 am

Becky M wrote:
Steve P wrote:Good idea...

candy?..... for all the fun names you have for them, curtain climbers is one of my favorites, i figured you would be handing out charcoal briquettes or something like that. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Charcoal biquettes ? I think not. We always give out those BIG assed candy bars...the full sized mammer-jammers. None of that "fun sized" stuff in this house. We figure if the little fellers go to the trouble of getting all dressed up that it's incumbent on us to get'em as jacked up on sugar as we possibly can. BTW, we also have hot cider for the parents...both "regular" and <eh-hem> "fortified".

Still getting a bit of the heeby-jeebies doing this stuff on the holy day...I'm thinking I might have to throw in a couple of extra "Our Fathers" and "Hail Mary's" this week.
Next