Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Your Jefferson County Sheriff Department, hard @ work

by Matthew D » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:35 am

http://www.facebook.com/notes/david-morse/bike-lane-citation-request-for-advice/162214317137247

Bike Lanes - the city's contributions to motorists disguised as a gift to cyclists.
Last edited by Matthew D on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Re: Your city police, hard @ work

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 am

Matthew,

As you are one who usually takes the time to research and proof their work before posting, you may want to change your heading to "Your Jefferson County Sheriff Department, hard @ work". His uniform citation was written by a J.C. deputy sheriff not an LMPD officer. Huge difference. If he contacts the LMPD 1st Division Bike Patrol they can assist him in clearing up any misconception on the KRS pertaining to bicycle lanes in the metro.

Ed
Last edited by Ed Vermillion on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:47 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:Matthew,

As you are one who usually takes the time to research and proof their work before posting, you may want to change your heading to "Your Jefferson County Sheriff Department, hard @ work". His uniform citation was written by a J.C. County deputy sheriff not an LMPD officer. Huge difference. If he contacts the LMPD 1st Division Bike Patrol they can assist him in clearing up any misconception on the KRS pertaining to bicycle lanes in the metro.

Ed

Thanks for the kind words Ed, and the correction. I'm pretty sure only Robin can edit a heading, but it is a good and correct suggestion.

I tried to read the citation - w/o much luck - all the while missing the bold title at the top. Just skipped right over it.

Story actually makes much more sense now. I've found the LMPD to be pretty great about interacting with bicyclists. Have never had any interaction with sheriffs, and honestly, I have no idea what they do.

I was pretty fired up when I posted this. Probably should have calmed down a bit.

Cheers.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:01 am

Matthew D wrote:

As you are one who usually takes the time to research and proof their work before posting, you may want to change your heading to "Your Jefferson County Sheriff Department, hard @ work". His uniform citation was written by a J.C. County deputy sheriff not an LMPD officer. Huge difference. If he contacts the LMPD 1st Division Bike Patrol they can assist him in clearing up any misconception on the KRS pertaining to bicycle lanes in the metro.

Ed

Thanks for the kind words Ed, and the correction. I'm pretty sure only Robin can edit a heading, but it is a good and correct suggestion.

I tried to read the citation - w/o much luck - all the while missing the bold title at the top. Just skipped right over it.

Story actually makes much more sense now. I've found the LMPD to be pretty great about interacting with bicyclists. Have never had any interaction with sheriffs, and honestly, I have no idea what they do.

I was pretty fired up when I posted this. Probably should have calmed down a bit.

Cheers.

You should be able to edit the heading. Just change it in your original post.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:14 am

JustinHammond wrote:
Matthew D wrote:

Ed

Cheers.

You should be able to edit the heading. Just change it in your original post.

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: Your Jefferson County Sheriff Department, hard @ work

by Matthew D » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:14 am

What does the sheriff department do?
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:35 am

Matthew D wrote:What does the sheriff department do?

I'm pretty sure their only job is to drive 90 mph up and down I-64, while weaving in and out of traffic.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Don't they serve warrants, primarily? Not a job I'd want.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:25 pm

TP Lowe wrote:

Tax collection. I'm not sure that giving deputies street law-enforcement power outside their immediate duties is all that great an idea. Back in the day, some people of truly dubious stature have held those posts as political rewards, although in fairness I've had no contact with it for years.
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:48 pm

The sheriff provides security for the courts, collects property taxes, serves supeonas,warrants and EPOs, serves protective and domestic violence orders, inspects cars brought in from out of state, serves eviction notices. They have police powers by state statute. In Jefferson County, we had many years of (IMO) "political" sheriffs. The last few have (again IMO) made the office much more professional.

I don't know of the situation referenced by the OP, but the Deputies I know are good people. A lot of them have previous law enforcement experience and all have to take initial training and yearly training.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:20 am

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:

Tax collection. I'm not sure that giving deputies street law-enforcement power outside their immediate duties is all that great an idea. Back in the day, some people of truly dubious stature have held those posts as political rewards, although in fairness I've had no contact with it for years.

Suzi's note indicates that serving warrants is a part of their day (as well as other issues, including tax collection). I didn't say a thing about political issues. All I know as that, when someone puts on a uniform, they are subject to be targeted by all sorts of not nice folks. I have great respect for any who do. And I really doubt the guy or gal from the sheriff's office who knocks on a door of a dangerous suspect's apartment to serve a warrant has much to do with the political process.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:41 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I didn't say a thing about political issues.

TP, all I'm trying to say is that back in the day, deputy sheriffs were generally politically connected types without police training, who weren't intended to patrol the streets but unfortunately in some instances abused their police power. Personally, I'm not overwhelmed with the more recent innovation of sending them around in police-type cars, but I'm glad to know that they do have some supervision and training.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

TP, all I'm trying to say is that back in the day, deputy sheriffs were generally politically connected types without police training, who weren't intended to patrol the streets but unfortunately in some instances abused their police power. Personally, I'm not overwhelmed with the more recent innovation of sending them around in police-type cars, but I'm glad to know that they do have some supervision and training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hkcZilKChI
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:23 pm

Officer Obie! :D
no avatar
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:07 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Actually you are talking about the Greene brothers "Special Deputies".
Next