Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Free-Range, Organic Meats?

no avatar
User

Louise Owens

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:50 pm

Free-Range, Organic Meats?

by Louise Owens » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:13 am

Does anyone know of stores that carry free-range meats (i.e., not just eggs)? How about meats from animals fed organic feed and/or species-appropriate feed? :wink: Looking to move into the area. This is a priority. Thanks!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Free-Range, Organic Meats?

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:36 am

Louise Owens wrote:Does anyone know of stores that carry free-range meats (i.e., not just eggs)? How about meats from animals fed organic feed and/or species-appropriate feed? :wink: Looking to move into the area. This is a priority. Thanks!

Louise, Doll's carries Kentucky Green River steaks, which are grass-fed and "natural." Whole Foods carries a variety of meats, some billed as grass-fed and all, I think, as hormone-free. You can also get grass-fed, hormone-free natural beef, pork and lamb from various vendors at both the Bardstown Road and Beargrass produce markets in season.

I'm not sure whether any of these are "certified organic," but I'm perfectly happy with these options and suspect that most consumers interested in this kind of thing are going to be looking more for a quality difference than worried about the precise details of "certified organic" vs. "natural."
no avatar
User

Louise Owens

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:50 pm

by Louise Owens » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:12 pm

Thank you for your detailed reply. I totally agree with you concering the "organic" distinction; frankly, I figured that using that term would attract the attention I wanted without taking up too much space in the Subject heading! I currently buy meats from a couple farmers who have not paid for the organic license, but who feed high quality, species-appropriate food to free-range animals - that's more important to me than simply using organic feed, which is often not even species-appropriate, and which is increasingly fed to animals in factory farm conditions. :(
Anyway, I am also interested in other animals like Rabbit, Chicken, Turkey (which is what I currently buy most) as well as other game animals. This is not just to feed the humans in my home, but our pets as well. I prefer to work with small farms, but if necessary I will go to a grocery store too. Any info about such farmers or meats would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks again.
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:27 pm

Preferred Meats in Sellersburg is really nice. They have chicken too!
no avatar
User

David H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:28 pm

Pewee Valley

Re: Free-Range, Organic Meats?

by David H. » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Doll's carries Kentucky Green River steaks, which are grass-fed and "natural."

I can personally attest for the quality of Green River Steaks as I had them for the first time tonight. Regardless of the ethical, moral and environmental reason to buy the meat (all of which are important to me), I would buy the steaks on flavor alone. Seasoned with some salt and pepper over a charcoal grill was simply perfection. I will definitely be back to Doll's anytime I'm over on that side of town to pick up some steaks.
no avatar
User

GinaHawkins

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:05 pm

by GinaHawkins » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:40 am

Like another post said, Preferred Meats in Sellersburg would be worth trying out. I know their meat is grown by local farmers (in the Southern Indiana area). Their pork, beef, and chicken is all natural, and they offer a variety of services (fresh cuts, deli meat, prepared food, etc.). I've tried their steaks and deli meat and it's all very good. The employees are really friendly too. I'd recommend it to anyone, and I'd go there to buy beef, pork, etc. over the grocery store any day.