Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: A warning to those in Phoenix Hill, Irish Hill, NULU, and Bu

by Brad Keeton » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:26 pm

JohnS wrote: just a Remington 870 18 inch pump 12 gauge loaded with #7 birdshot and equipped with a Surefire tactical light on the foregrip right next to the bed.

Why the shotgun? Reliable, extremely effective, and the sound of the pump action being racked will very likely end a home invasion before the gun needs to be used. The grip mounted flashlight means I don't have to fumble around with a flashlight or risk blinding myself temporarily when flipping on the inside lights.

Why #7 birdshot? Because it is perfectly capable of taking someone down at the close range of a home invasion, but the shot will not penetrate multiple walls and siding like a pistol or rifle round will, which means if I miss, I'm not going to accidentally kill a neighbor with the stray round.

I'm not advocating one position or the other (I enjoy sport shooting very much, but don't own a gun, and don't have plans to own one, but wouldn't mind owning one, more for sport than for protection. . .you get the picture, I'm not solidly on either side), but my father-in-law, who has many guns, advocates the shotgun as the preferred for home protection. It's (1) relatively easy to operate; (2) the pump sound is distinct and gives fair warning; (3) not only is birdshot less likely to injure innocent bystanders, but it's also more likely to wound an intruder rather than kill, and (4) birdshot scatter makes it easier to hit the intruder.

For those who chose a gun for home protection, this is sound advice, I think. You're also less likely to shoot yourself with a shotgun.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:59 pm

Mossberg HS410...standard magazine: two rounds of #2 Bird shot as a "deterrent" (won't penetrate 5/8 inch dry wall...and for all practical purposes is non-lethal) followed by four Brenneke slug rounds for those who might remain undeterred.

Tell 'em Jack Bauer sent me 8)
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:13 pm

by JohnS » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:27 pm

Steve P wrote:Mossberg HS410...standard magazine: two rounds of #2 Bird shot as a "deterrent" (won't penetrate 5/8 inch dry wall...and for all practical purposes is non-lethal) followed by four Brenneke slug rounds for those who might remain undeterred.

I went with the 12 gauge because it seemed like it would be more useful in the future when the zombie apocalypse comes... :wink:
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Yeah, I figured my post would be ignored.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:58 pm

JohnS wrote:
Steve P wrote:Mossberg HS410...standard magazine: two rounds of #2 Bird shot as a "deterrent" (won't penetrate 5/8 inch dry wall...and for all practical purposes is non-lethal) followed by four Brenneke slug rounds for those who might remain undeterred.

I went with the 12 gauge because it seemed like it would be more useful in the future when the zombie apocalypse comes... :wink:

Go with the 00 Buckshot for Zombies. Gives you a better chance at a at a head shot...and everyone knows it takes a head shot to kill 'em.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:12 pm

That is sad for that family, it's a bad situation that can't be undone or made better.

There is no easy answer and most of your responses are very true, just as having the gun locks on the trigger are about useless in the few seconds you'd have to defend yourself...great you have a gun you can do nothing with...may as well throw a tennis shoe at them.

However, if you have kids and guns in the same house, why not educate them about how and when to use them? My dad made sure I knew how to release the safety on the guns, load them, hold them to prevent them from firing and everything by the time I was 6. But then my dad has always been kinda progressive, he did teach me how to stop a car if the driver got sick as well as how to drive a stick shift around the same time in case of an emergency.
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

by JohnS » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:19 pm

Marsha L. wrote:http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/08/5-year-old-boy-dies-from-accidental-gunshot-wound.html

So, people with a loaded gun at home, I'm sure you'd say: That gun shouldn't have been loaded and readily available to those 5-year-old twins! And I'd say: if you have it under your pillow or in your nightstand drawer - it's readily available to children and visitors. Next thing: I keep my ammo separate from the gun, in another room, or under lock and key!

I'd say: Bang, you're dead. If you really want to be able to shoot tv-stealing intruders whose real motives you don't know...then you have to have a loaded gun, readily available at all times, not under lock and key.

I don't have kids, so my gun is loaded and next to the bed at night, locked in a gun safe during the day or when I have visitors. Pretty simple. (and there is a door block on the bedroom door that keeps it from opening any wider than the body width of my fattest cat, so nobody is going to sneak in and grab the gun while I sleep without me noticing them attempting to batter the door down.)

The 3 people I know who have kids and choose to keep a gun in the bedroom own these:

http://www.safetysafeguards.com/site/402168/product/INPRINT

or something similar (not sure of the specific brand/model, so nabbed one randomly for illustration). Sits right next to the bed or mounts wherever you want it, but has a spring loaded door that pops open when your fingerprints are detected as the key. Fully loaded gun, quick access, kidproof, and even has battery backup if the power goes out.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:33 pm

LOL, how many people have those? Just your three friends, I'm guessing. Nice, though.
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:19 am

Quite a few people own those, or very similar, for handguns. However there was at least one model of little handgun lockbox things that could be opened by dropping them on the floor.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:36 am

Marsha L. wrote:Yeah, I figured my post would be ignored.

Excuse them Marsha, everybody's comparing what they have. :wink:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:59 am

A friend owns that model Steve. He also has a five shot 41 magnum revolver he inherited from his Grand Dad. Did you know you can chamber and fire a .410 shell in a .41 mag. hand gun? Big fun there!
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

by JohnS » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:39 am

Marsha L. wrote:LOL, how many people have those? Just your three friends, I'm guessing. Nice, though.

The people I know are responsible gun owners. They ask questions, they look into safety - BOTH parents practice with the gun in the event either one has to use it, etc. They wanted a way to defend their home quickly if needed and also keep the weapon safe from their kids.

It doesn't take a whole lot of thought, time, or money to secure a firearm IF you really want to - most people are simply too lazy or too stupid to do it right. They rely on 'well, if I hide it well enough or high enough, the kids will never find it', and sometimes that doesn't end so well. If you teach a kid responsible gun handling AND use a tiny bit of common sense, odds are you won't have a problem, but again - few people do.

And on the .41/.410 subject - the Taurus Judge is a current model designed for .45 Colt / .410:

http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selector-results.cfm?series=41

Not real sure I would want to fire a .410 handgun, but I'm sure someone makes lower power rounds for it - still sounds unpleasant. Bet the muzzle flash would blind someone at 20 yards even if the shot missed. :)
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:40 am

Carla G wrote:
Marsha L. wrote:Yeah, I figured my post would be ignored.

Excuse them Marsha, everybody's comparing what they have. :wink:

:lol:
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:03 pm

JohnS wrote:
Not real sure I would want to fire a .410 handgun, but I'm sure someone makes lower power rounds for it - still sounds unpleasant. Bet the muzzle flash would blind someone at 20 yards even if the shot missed. :)

I dunno, .410 is fairly anemic, and from talking to a buddy who has fired the judge, the .45lc is louder, more flash and more felt recoil.

Growing up my family had guns, and we got to shoot rifles in scouts every summer and fall, but it was drilled into my head that these were not toys, and to treat them as dangerous items. We never had a problem, and I've yet to have an ND/AD, and even when I'm playing with my nerf gun at work I automatically default to using the safety rules.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Personally, I favor my flame thrower. Talk about literally cooking an intruder. It's a little more kid friendly also because most burns can heal if the kids are playing with it and get out of control.
PreviousNext