Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Stonybrook/Rave theaters

no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: Stonybrook/Rave theaters

by Matthew D » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Brad Keeton wrote:... that used to be our go to when my wife was a student living in Old Louisville (faster to get from OL to Okolona than to East End).

You know, maybe it's just habit, but when I lived in OL for a while in the early '80s, it never crossed my mind to go to Okolona. Of course, I didn't go to the far East End either - it was less of a draw in that era. I did beat a steady path to the Highlands and St. Matthews, though, and generally chose Wrocklage Kroger in preference to the one then at Second and Breck. :P

Not sure there was much of interest in Okolona in the early '80s. There wasn't the movie theatre, that's for sure. Nor the Lowes. Nor the Kohl's. There was the Ehrler's Ice Cream (still there?) and the swimming pool at Southern High School (no longer there). Oh, childhood.

From my old place near 1st and Oak, I could get to the Preston exit off of the GS in about 10 minutes with normal traffic. It took a little bit longer if the turn around the Silos or the ramp to the GS were slow-and-go.

Baxter Avenue theatres was a few minutes less than that. The true "east end" was @ least 15 minutes, depending on where I was going to.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:40 pm

If the ticket prices were a shocker, don't hit the snack bar...they raised prices and cut sizes all around there. Okolona hasn't been as good lately as it had been, but I'm hoping it's just a transitional issue and they'll get the kinks worked out.

I thought Baxter was primarily independent films or is that another theatre?

I never thought I'd say things in MI were cheaper, but the theatres did it right. Matinees were $4.50, the popcorn/2 drink combo was $9 with free refills. So a movie date was less than $20 and with every 4th ticket was a free popcorn and every 10th ticket was a free movie.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Madeline M wrote: I thought Baxter was primarily independent films or is that another theatre?

Baxter is probably the best (maybe only?) place in town for independent and foreign films, but also shows the mainstream movies.

I'm a fan of Baxter, but I do like stadium seating in movies, which is lacking there.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:43 am

Brad Keeton wrote:
Madeline M wrote: I thought Baxter was primarily independent films or is that another theatre?

Baxter is probably the best (maybe only?) place in town for independent and foreign films, but also shows the mainstream movies.

I'm a fan of Baxter, but I do like stadium seating in movies, which is lacking there.

Village 8 in Dupont (sister to Baxter Ave.) will also do some nice little independent films and they're cheap too!
Madeline M wrote:I never thought I'd say things in MI were cheaper, but the theatres did it right. Matinees were $4.50, the popcorn/2 drink combo was $9 with free refills. So a movie date was less than $20 and with every 4th ticket was a free popcorn and every 10th ticket was a free movie.

This was true here as well until fairly recently. (Like maybe this past Memorial Day or something.) and then prices shot up.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:03 pm

Baxter's seats hurt my back and IMHO are the worst in the city. I will go there if they ate the only house showing a movie I want to see.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
Previous