Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Stonybrook/Rave theaters

no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

Stonybrook/Rave theaters

by Megan Watts » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:07 am

will never ever go to it again. They've changed ownership and it has really gone downhill, however, they charged us 9.50 a ticket! I nearly had a heart attack. I don't think that even Tinsletown charges that much, or it's been that long since I've gone to a theater at full price.

The lobby smelled like bathroom sewer.

There was no soap in the bathroom pumps. When I told the worker who was washing her hands right next to me she said (and I quote!) "You have to hit the pump harder, at least that's what I'm told to do when I asked about it." I got a miniscule amt of soap after whacking the thing another 3-4 times.

The sound was muffled and we had a hard time hearing what some of the characters were talking about, although, the action scenes/background noise was quite loud.

The movie was supposed to start at 715 pm. At 725, still no movie. 2 people got up to go tell mgmt and inquire what the hold up was. The lady behind us said that when she asked everyone there looked at her like they couldn't understand what she was talking about. The movie then started roughly 5 min. later. Sat through about 10 min. of previews. 715 movie didn't get out until 10 pm for a movie that was 2 hrs and 25 min.

Never again.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Re: Stonybrook/Rave theaters

by Megan Watts » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:08 am

I should have added..that we did not get up and leave. We should have, however, this was our one night out without our son. We hardly ever get dates nights so we just tried to make the best of it. However, if I ever get a date night again, it wont be there!
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:33 am

Aww man! Stoneybrook used to be such a nice theater. I liked it better than Tinseltown. ($9.50 for an adult weekend movie at Tinseltown BTW) My favorite is still Baxter Ave.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Though tickets at Baxter were not cheap either! $10.50 for Toy Story 3 (maybe it's more expensive because of the 3-D?) It was a great movie, though!! Pixar rules!!

The Pecan Pie Blizzard from DQ afterward wasn't half bad either ;)
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:21 am

MarieP wrote:Though tickets at Baxter were not cheap either! $10.50 for Toy Story 3 (maybe it's more expensive because of the 3-D?) It was a great movie, though!! Pixar rules!!

The Pecan Pie Blizzard from DQ afterward wasn't half bad either ;)

I like a person with a plan! :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:23 am

MarieP wrote:The Pecan Pie Blizzard from DQ afterward wasn't half bad either ;)

Baxter also offers the option of City Cafe, which in my opinion is one of the best of its genre. The Big Salad alone is worth the price of admission, fills you up with mostly healthy goodies and leaves room for popcorn at the movie. :D
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm trying to figure out the last time I saw a movie at a theatre in Louisville other than Baxter. Prob was in '04 or '05. Baxter has a student discount, so I take advantage of that.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Michael Mattingly

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:46 am

Paris, France

by Michael Mattingly » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:02 pm

I typically only go to matinees because I don't like crowds when watching a movie & I always go to Baxter because if there are other people they're more likely to be mature & not fighting w/ their BFF on their cellphone throughout.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:05 am

I received a reply from the mgr. of the theater and he's offered me 2 free tickets and sent a nice sincere apology. However, who knows when I'll be able to get to another movie..but someday we'll have another date night!
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:49 am

Oh wow! But I'm curious, did you call/e-mail him or does he read the LHB boards?
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:15 pm

I emailed the general reply email on their company website, and itmust have been filtered through to them.
no avatar
User

JRColvin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:03 pm

by JRColvin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:02 am

My two recent problems at "Rave": Sound was completely off for the opening cartoon short before Toy Story 3D / IMAX -- especially annoying considering the high price we pay for 3D IMAX. For Inception, they left the overhead lights on at full blast for the first 20 minutes of the movie. Probably the main reason why I have a negative opinion of that movie.... viewing conditions affect memories!
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:11 pm

These technical problems y'all speak to are either the result of 1)true technical issues or 2) poorly trained and/or inattentive staff.

I'm not seeing much evidence for #1, so it must be #2.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:54 pm

We've had good experiences at the Rave (used to be Cinema de Lux) in Okolona, if you don't mind the drive. It's been years since I've been there, but that used to be our go to when my wife was a student living in Old Louisville (faster to get from OL to Okolona than to East End).
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:34 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:... that used to be our go to when my wife was a student living in Old Louisville (faster to get from OL to Okolona than to East End).

You know, maybe it's just habit, but when I lived in OL for a while in the early '80s, it never crossed my mind to go to Okolona. Of course, I didn't go to the far East End either - it was less of a draw in that era. I did beat a steady path to the Highlands and St. Matthews, though, and generally chose Wrocklage Kroger in preference to the one then at Second and Breck. :P
Next