Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Update on Break Ins

User

Dawn D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:51 pm

Update on Break Ins

by Dawn D » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:11 pm

Good news about the series of break ins in Deer Park (if there can be such a thing). Our home was broken into on May 29, 2007. We got a call today about recovering a couple of our things and got word that the man behind this has been arrested and is currently in jail.

He's a 52 year old man who looked like he'd fit right in in the Highlands. He drove a mid 80's Jaguar and is a crack addict. The officer we spoke with tonight at first district I believe said he worked at Third Street Dive. There were 2 pages of houses that he had hit. The officers took him out for him to point out houses and it took them 7 hours. That should give you an idea of how many houses we're talking about. He also has priors. Not sure I should post a name, but they did give it to us.

He was caught because one victim saw him as he left their home and they got the license plate number. Officers went to the address associated with the car and got him as he pulled up. They say he confessed to all of it.

Just thought you all might want to know. He'll probably be in for about 10 years.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:17 pm

I know i for one appreciate the update.

Suppose those of us in Deer Park will be able to rest easy now.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Update on Break Ins

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:25 pm

Dawn D wrote:I believe said he worked at Third Street Dive.

Hmm ... wonder if The Gordo is lurking out there ... inside story time!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Update on Break Ins

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Dawn D wrote:Not sure I should post a name, but they did give it to us.

Not that it matters, Dawn, but police records are public records, so there's no <i>legal</i> reason not to post it if you know it.
User

Dawn D

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Dawn D » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:32 pm

It's Mark Stephen Smith. If you want to see him, watch the news at 11. There's supposed to be a story about it on Channel 32 (I think).
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Confirmed

by Heather Y » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:09 pm

Yep, they got him. That was our partner Mike in the interview...... I am just glad that they were not home when this guy decided to bust down their door!

Man, our system is screwed up! How did they keep paroling this guy?
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:48 pm

Do you know if they plan to publish a list of the houses the guy hit? Our house could be on that list. We're in the Highlands (on the other side of Bardstown Rd), but only a few blocks from the Deer Park neighborhood.

Our house was broken into about a year ago. The guy stole a couple of my checks then tried to cash them at several local banks. The detective let me watch the bank videos and that guy was around 50, clean-cut, expensive watch, nicely dressed (he was even wearing his seatbelt). However, our burglar was driving a 2006 Honda Odyssey in the videos.
User

Dawn D

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Dawn D » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:02 pm

Do you know if they plan to publish a list of the houses the guy hit?

Leann,

You may want to contact Detective Hyle at first district (Douglass Blvd). He has a complete list of addresses. I'm sure he'd be able to confirm if your house is one listed.
User

Dawn D

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Dawn D » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:04 pm

However, our burglar was driving a 2006 Honda Odyssey in the videos.

One of his victims left their trip itinerary laying around their house. He broke in, saw the itinerary and knew they'd be gone a week. He drove their vehicle (no idea on make/model) for a week, but returned it with a full tank of gas. Now is that something or what?!
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:28 pm

I just spoke to Det. Hyle. He was actually the detective that worked our case when it happened. As it turns out, they recently caught the guy that was responsible for our break-in. Our burglar's name is Douglass Link and he was responsible for about 25-30 burglaries around the Highlands (Glenmary, Cherokee, Everett, Sherwood, Bonnycastle).

He had been living in a halfway house about a block down from Everett on Glenmary Ave. The Honda Odyssey I mentioned, had been stolen. They said that he normally took checks, ID's, credit cards etc. and that he would take keys and revisit places he had robbed. The odd thing was he would sometimes return items that he had stolen like a class ring (he would leave them on the porch), so the returning of the car with a tank of gas sounds a lot like our burglar.

Det. Hyle has all the info. He said that our guy (who also has warrants in Indiana) is probably going to be in jail for at least 10 years. Very little of the stolen items were recovered.
User

Dawn D

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Dawn D » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:16 pm

Very little of the stolen items were recovered.

Unfortunately, that seems to be standard. We were told computers are wiped and sold and jewelry is melted down for the metal (with the remaining bits discarded). We were fortunate to recover our digital camera & my daughter's guitar. Of course, now we're waiting to actually go and get the stuff as everyone has to meet together so the detective doesn't have to make multiple trips. :?