Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

New forums for ethnic communities in Louisville

by Steve Magruder » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:46 pm

(Sorry if this seems like an ad, but I'm just wanting to make my fellow Louisvillians aware about a key change to my discussion board -- Robin: Please delete if it's not within bounds)

Within a generation, Louisville has seen two ethnic communities in town grow dramatically -- Hispanics and Vietnamese people.

Do all these fine residents of Louisville have a good place online to converse, whether in English or Spanish or Vietnamese? I don't really know... But, in case they don't, I just created forums for these dynamic Louisville communities at Louisville History & Issues.

Please encourage your Louisville Latino and Vietnamese friends to check out the discussion board.

Cheers,
Steve

P.S. I embrace diversity and even if my approach on this doesn't strike the right key (yet), I am committed to serving all of Louisville's residents and will do everything I can to get it right.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:23 pm

i have to ask: i'm assuming you found some sort of Vietnamese translation applet online?

When i first started working at Asiatique i was literally the 'token white guy', all the other guys working the line were Vietnamese at the time.

I went as far to buy two books on speaking Vietnamese, figuring i couldn't be in better environment to learn.

Still have the books, but never really learned. (apparently one of the books came with a companion cd that's almost required to properly understand pronunciation, since Vietnamese is largely a tonal based language... line did not come with said cd. :? )

Louisville does indeed have a quite large Vietnamese community;
but it's also of note - Louisville does also have a quite large concentration of Bosnian immigrants as well.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:10 pm

Ethan, I used the translation tool at vdict.com (note: requires Java runtime on your PC). I was very happy to discover it, as I don't know Vietnamese either. Hopefully, one day, I will find somebody fluent in both English and Vietnamese to moderate the newly created forum.

Re: Bosnian community, hmmm, yeah, that's right. I'll look into the possibility of creating a forum for them too. Thanks for the tip! :)
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist